Skip to content
Home » US States » H-L » Idaho » Nez Perce County

Nez Perce County

Nez Perce County is named for the Nez Perce Native American Tribe who resided in the region.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Latah County

E – Clearwater County and Lewis County

S – Lewis County, Idaho County and Wallowa County, Oregon

W – Wallowa County, Oregon, Asotin County, Washington and Whitman County, Washington

 

Created:  March 4, 1864                                                             Map of Idaho highlighting Nez Perce County

County Seat: 

Lewiston  1864 – present

 

County Courthouse – Lewiston 

 

Location:  1230 Main Street / 13th Street

Built:  1889 – 1890

Style:  Neo-Classical

Architect:  W B Cooper

Contractor:  W B Cooper

 

Description:  The building  faces north and is a three story gray colored stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Lewiston. The north front has six columns rising from the first story to the top of the second story. A cornice runs below the third story. The roof line is flat. The original part of the building is on the south side. In the interior, the County District Court courtroom  ais located on the north side and the County Magistrate Court is located on the south side of the second story. The building houses the County District Court and County Magistrate Court of the 2nd Judicial District. The newer north side was built in 1928. The architect was Curtis Richardson and the contractor was J D Beery of Beery Brothers. An addition was added on the west side in 1972. The architect was William I Parr and the contractor was Schmidt & Hagen of Lewiston. To the south is the County Administration (Brammer) Building.

 

See:  The 2nd Judicial District includes Clearwater CountyIdaho County Lewis County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1864 and Lewiston was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was the Luna House Hotel which served from 1882 to 1889. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1889 to 1890.

 

See:  Idaho First Capitol Building located on the northwest corner of Capital Street and 4th Street.

.

Note:  The lowest point in Idaho is the Snake River at 710 feet ( 216 meters ) which is located in the county.

 

 

County Courthouse – Lewiston

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Statue – Indian Summer

 

 

 

 

 

 

County District Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Administration (Brammer) Building – Lewiston

 

 

 

 

 

 

Idaho First Capitol Building – Lewiston

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

View of Lewiston looking south

Photos taken 2009, 2016 and 2022