Skip to content
Home » US States » H-L » Illinois » Logan County

Logan County

Logan County is named for John Logan, who was a pioneer physician and the father of General John A Logan.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Tazewell County and McLean County

E – DeWitt County and Macon County

S – Macon County and Sangamon County

W – Menard County and Mason County

 

Created:  February 15, 1839                                                      Map of Illinois highlighting Logan County

County Seat:

Postville            1839 – 1847

Mount Pulaski   1847 – 1853

Lincoln              1853 – present

 

County Courthouse – Lincoln

 

Location:  601 Broadway Street / South Kickapoo Street

Built:  1903 – 1904

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  J M Deal

Contractor:  V Jobst & Sons

 

Description: The building faces east and is a three story gray limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Lincoln. Each side has a large portico with arched entrance on the first story and four columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story, with a pediment above. On the center of the roof is a large round white colored dome with clocks and a small round cupola at the top. In the interior is a central rotunda rising to a skylight under the dome. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 11th Judicial Circuit.  

 

Old County Courthouse – Mount Pulaski

 

 

Location:  113 South Washington Street / East Cooke Street

Built:  1847 – 1848

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  Local craftsmen

Contractor:  Local craftsmen

 

Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds of the Pulaski Courthouse Square in the center of Mount Pulaski. The west front has a central entrance on the first story. The roof is hipped. The building was used as a courthouse until 1857. The building was restored from 1936 to 1939. The building is now the Mount Pulaski Courthouse State Historical Site.

 

 

Note:  In 1847, local craftsmen donated labor and local merchants donated material to construct the courthouse. The sum of $2700 was donated plus $300 paid by the County.

 

See:  The 11th Judicial District includes Ford County, Livingston CountyMcLean County and Woodford County. 

 

History:  The county was created in 1839 and Postville (Lincoln) was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a two story frame structure designed and built by Sam Tinsley in 1840. The courthouse is located at the Greenfield Village Museum in  Dearborn, Michigan. A replica is located at 914 5th Street in Lincoln. In 1847 the county seat was moved to Mount Pulaski. The second courthouse was a brick structure built in 1848 at a cost of $3,000 and is still standing. In 1853 the county seat was moved to Lincoln. The third courthouse was built in 1853 and burned on April 15, 1857. The fourth courthouse was a two story structure built in 1857 at a cost of $15,000. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1903 to 1904.

 

 

County Courthouse – Lincoln

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old County Courthouse – Mount Pulaski

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2008