Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Texas » Kent County

Kent County

Kent County is named for Andrew Kent, who was killed at the Battle of the Alamo.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Dickens County

E – Stonewall County

S – Fisher County and Scurry County

W – Garza County

 

Created:  August 21, 1876                      Map of Texas highlighting Kent County

County Seat: 

Clairemont  1892 – 1954

Jayton         1954 – present

 

County Courthouse – Jayton

 

Location:  101 North Main Street / East 5th Street

Built:  1954 – 1956

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Wyatt C Hedrick of Fort Worth

Contractor:  Suggs Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Jayton. The west front has buff colored brick on the sides, orange colored panels on the first story with central entrance and wide concrete facing with figures above the first story. The north and south wings are lower and have horizontal windows. The roof line is flat. In the interior is the courtroom. The building houses the State District Court and Constitutional County Court. 

 

See:  The architect, Wyatt C Hedrick of Fort Worth also designed courthouses in Austin CountyBrazoria CountyCoke CountyComanche County, Kaufman CountyMotley CountyWalker County and Yoakum County.

 

Old County Courthouse – Clairemont

 

 

Location:  NW – Broadway / Highway 208

Built:  1892 – 1893

Style:  Classical

Architect:  Martin, Byrnes & Johnston

Contractor:  Martin, Byrnes & Johnston

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a one story red colored stone structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on spacious grounds in the center of Clairemont. The south front has a central recessed entrance with small gable above at the roof line. The windows are vertical and the roof is hipped. The building is now used the Community Center. Across the highway to the east is the old 1894 County Jail.

 

History:  The county was created in 1876 and  Scurry County was used for judicial purposes. Clairemont was selected as the county seat in 1892 when the county was organized. The first courthouse was designed by Martin, Byrnes & Johnston in Clairemont in 1893. After a fire, the building was rebuilt as a one story structure. In 1954, the county seat was moved to Jayton. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1956 to 1957.

 

 

County Courthouse – Jayton

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old County Courthouse – Clairemont

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old County Jail – Clairemont

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2014 and 2019