Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Texas » Shelby County

Shelby County

Shelby County is named for Isaac Shelby, who was a Revolutionary soldier from Tennessee and governor of Kentucky from 1792 to 1796 and 1812 to 1816.

 

Surrounding County and Parish Courthouses: 

N – Panola County

E – DeSoto Parish, Louisiana and Sabine Parish, Louisiana

S – Sabine County and San Augustine County

W – Nacogdoches County and Rusk County

 

Created:  March 17, 1836                       Map of Texas highlighting Shelby County

County Seat: 

Shelbyville  1837 – 1866

Center        1866 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Center  

 

Location:  Courthouse Square / Shelbyville Street

Built:  1883 – 1885

Style:  Romanesque Revival

Architect:  John Joseph Emmett Gibson

Contractor:  John Joseph Emmett Gibson

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of Courthouse Square in the center of Center. The building resembles an Irish castle with chimneys. The north front has a projecting two story center section. On the center of the roof is a square wood cupola. The large courtroom occupies the entire second story. The building was restored in 1999. The architect was The Williams Company and the contract was White Stone Contractors. At the northwest side of Courthouse Square is the old County Jail built by John Joseph Emmett Gibson in 1885.

 

Note:  The first court met in Shelbyville in 1837. The county sear was moved to Center in 1866 and a courthouse was built. The courthouse burned in 1882. The previous courthouse was constructed at a cost of $26,725.

 

County Courthouse – Center  

 

 

Location:  200 San Antonio Street / Houston Street

Built:  1979 -1980

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Kent-Marsellos-Scott of Lupkin

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located in the center of Center and is a former bank building that was remodeled in 1992. The east front has an overhang at the first story entrance and above is a large two story window. The interior foyer extends up to the second story. On the third story is a courtroom on the north side and a courtroom on the south side. In 1992, the architect was Scott and Strong and the contractor was Franklin Pigg.

 

Note:  The building was constructed for the Sabine Valley Savings and Loan which went bankrupt . At the time of construction, the consulting engineer was Love Friberg & Associates of Fort Worth.The building stood vacant until acquired by the County in 1992.

 

Note:  The county is one of the original 23 counties created in 1836.

 

 

Old County Courthouse – Center

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old County Jail – Center

 

 

 

 

County Courthouse

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2010 and 2019