Skip to content
Home » US States » A-G » Arkansas » Cleveland County

Cleveland County

 

Cleveland County is named for Grover Cleveland, who was the President of the United States.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Dallas CountyGrant County and Jefferson County

E – Lincoln County and Drew County

S – Bradley County

W – Calhoun County and Dallas County

 

Created:   April 17, 1873                         Map of Arkansas highlighting Cleveland County

County Seat:

Toledo  1873 – 1891

Rison    1891 – present

 

County Courthouse – Rison

 

Location:  20 Magnolia Street /  Main Street

Built:  1910 – 1911

Style:  Beaux Arts

Architect:  Theodore M Sanders

Contractor:  Monk & Ritchie of Pine Bluff

 

Description:  The building faces northwest and is a two story dark red colored brick and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Rison. The northwest front has a small one story white colored portico with balcony on the second story. Four Tuscan pilasters divide the windows. There are wings on the east and west sides. On the center of the roof is a square high clock tower with steep roof. The interior has brightly patterned ceramic floor tiles, marble wainscoting and pressed tin ceilings in an ornamental design. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 13th Judicial District.  In 2021, the roof was repaired and the courtroom painted by Sure Foundation Construction.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Cleveland County Courthouse

 

See:  The 13th Judicial District includes Calhoun County, Columbia County, Dallas CountyOuachita County and Union County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1873 and Toledo was designated as the county seat. The first courthouse was built. The courthouse burned in 1889 and the county seat was moved to Rison in 1891. The second courthouse, a two story frame structure was built in 1892 at a cost of $8,000. A Clerk’s Office was built on the Courthouse Square in 1902 and was moved in later years to the fairgrounds. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1911 at a cost of $65,000.

 

 

County Courthouse – Rison

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2011 and 2019