Brown County is named for Henry Stevenson Brown, who was a commander at the Battle of Velasco.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Eastland County
E – Comanche County
S – Mills County, San Saba County and McCulloch County
W – Coleman County
Created: August 27, 1856 ![]()
County Seat:
Brownwood 1856 – present
County Courthouse – Brownwood
Location: 200 South Broadway / North Center Avenue
Built: 1916 – 1917
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Henry Truman Phelps of San Antonio
Contractor: Hood & Staggs
Description: The building faces south and is a three story dark red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Brownwood. The south and north sides of the rectangular shaped building have projecting porticos with three arches on the first story and columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story. A thin horizontal belt runs between the first and second stories. A cornice runs along the flat roof line. In the interior, the County District Court courtroom is located on the second story. The building houses the County District Court, Constitutional County Court, County Court at Law and County Justice Court. The building is a remodel of the 1884 courthouse designed by Dodson & Dudley and constructed by Thomas Lovell. To the northwest is the old County Jail constructed in 1903.
See: The architect Henry Truman Phelps of San Antonio, Texas
See: The 7th Administrative Judicial Region has a main office in San Angelo in Tom Green County.
History: The county was created in 1856 and Brownwood was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a log cabin built in 1858. The second courthouse was built in 1876. The third courthouse was designed by Dodson & Dudley and constructed by Thomas Lowell in 1884 and burned in 1894. The fourth and present courthouse incorporated interior walls and vaults from the 1884 courthouse.
County Courthouse – Brownwood
Old County Jail – Brownwood
Photos taken 2014
Images 13
