Portage la Prairie is named for the French word “portage” which means to carry a canoe overland between waterways between the Assiniboine River and Lake Manitoba and the word “prairie”
Location: Portage la Prairie is located in the south central part of the Province along the Assiniboine River with Lake Manitoba to the north.
Judicial District: Central Judicial District
Courthouse – Portage la Prairie
Location: 25 North Tupper Street / Saskatchewan Avenue East
Built: 1894 – 1895
Style: Queen Anne
Architect: George Browne, Jr. of Winnipeg
Contractor: T M Beamish of Brandon
Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff coloured brick, limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The west front has a port cochere which extends from the main building. Above on the second story are three large arched windows for the large Court of King’s Bench courtroom. Above is a wide pediment at the elevated roof line. The second story has a large central Court of King’s Bench courtroom. Additions were designed by Samuel Hooper and “port cochere” on the west side was designed by Victor W Horwood. On the east side is the Provincial Gaol which is attached to the courthouse.
History: The first court used the Blake & Wallace Hall which became the Portage Hotel. In 1879, John Duncan who was a carpenter, supervised construction of the first courthouse. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $22,544.
See: The architect of the addition, Samuel Hooper of Winnipeg, designed courthouses in Brandon, Minnedosa, Morden and Winnipeg..
Portage la Prairie Courthouse
Court of King’s Bench courtroom
Photos taken 2009 and 2013
Images 6*
