Skip to content
Home » Canada Courthouses » Alberta » Stettler

Stettler

Stettler is named after Swiss immigrant Carl Stettler, who founded a settlement east of the town at Blumenau, as well as being influential in the nearby community of Castor.

 

Location:  Stettler is located in the central part of the Province.

Judicial District:  Red Deer Judicial District

 

Provincial Courthouse – Stettler

 

Location:  4705 49 Avenue / 48 Street

Built:  1973 – 1975

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Abugov & Sunderland

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a one story red coloured brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and is “L” shaped with a west wing and an east wing. The  west wing has horizontal windows at the junction with the east wing with wide band above. The roof line is flat.

 

Old Courthouse – Stettler

 

 

Location:  6302  44 Avenue / 66 Street

Built:  1907 – 1908

Style:  Schoolhouse / Utilitarian

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story white coloured wood frame structure. The building faces south and was completed in 1908. The building is located on the grounds of the Stettler Town & County Museum. The south front has a projecting centre section with entrance on the first story with canopy above. At the top of the roof is a square white coloured cupola with steep roof. The roof is hipped. The courtroom is on the second story in the northeast corner. The building was originally constructed as a school.

 

Note:  The building became a courthouse in 1914 when the Stettler School Board sold the building for $9,000. The building was converted under architect C E McGowan and local labour. The cost of the renovation was $6,292. The building was sold to the municipality in 1974.

 

See:  Within the Red Deer Judicial District are Provincial Courthouses located at CoronationRimbey and Rocky Mountain House.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2015