Skip to content
Home » Canada Courthouses » Manitoba » The Pas

The Pas

The Pas is named for the native people of the Pasquia River.

 

Location:  The Pas is located in the north west part of the Province along the Saskatchewan River.

Judicial District:  Northern Judicial District

 

Courthouse – The Pas

 

Location:  300 3rd Street East / Hone Street

Built:  1981 – 1982

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a one story red coloured brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the southeast section of the city. The central entrance is recessed. The windows are horizontal. The roof line is flat. The building houses the Court of Queen’s Bench and the Provincial Court.

 

Old Courthouse – The Pas

 

 

Location:  306 Fischer Avenue / 3rd Street West

Built:  1916 – 1917

Style:  Neo-Classical

Architect:  George Nelson Taylor of The Pas

Contractor:  Snyder Brothers of Portage la Prairie

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red coloured brick, concrete and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the south of the city centre. The east front has a projecting centre section with arched entrance on the first story and large double window on the second story. A cornice runs below the flat roof line. The building ceased to be the courthouse in 1982 and is now the Sam Waller Museum.

 

Note:  The courthouse was unique among Manitoba courthouses as it had an upper story used exclusively as a public assembly hall, separate from the main floor court room and judicial offices. The building became the centre for the town’s social activities. The lower level of the building contained jail cells and living quarters for the Chief of Police and his family.

 

 

 

The Pas Courthouse

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old The Pas Courthouse

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2013