Skip to content
Home » Canada Courthouses » New Brunswick » Charlotte County

Charlotte County

 

Charlotte County was named for Queen Charlotte Sophia, who was the consort of King George III of Great Britain.

 

Surrounding Courthouses: 

N – York CountySunbury County and Queens County 

E – Queens County, Kings County and Saint John County 

S – Bay of Fundy and Maine 

W – Maine 

 

County Created  :  1785                                    Location within New Brunswick

( one of the 8 original counties )

County Seat:  

Saint Andrews  1785 – present

 

Old Courthouse – Saint Andrews

 

Location:  123 Frederick Street / Parr Street

Built:  1839 – 1840

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  Thomas Berry and Building Committee appointed by the Grand Jury

Contractor:  Thomas Berry.

 

Description:  The building faces southwest and is a one story white coloured wood frame structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the north of the  centre of Saint Andrews. The front has a large portico with four white coloured columns rising to a pediment with large Royal coat of arms was added in 1858 by Charles Kennedy.The base is red coloured brick. The roof is hipped. The building was renovated in 1949.

 

Note:  The courthouse is the oldest courthouse in Canada.

 

Courthouse – Saint Stephen

 

 

Location:  41 King Street / Prince William Street

Built:  Unknown

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a three story red coloured brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the centre of Saint Stephen. The east side is on a slope with the first story entrance on the south side. The second story has a south and west entrance. The flat roof has a mansard overhang. The building housed the Provincial Court. 

 

 

 

 

 

Old Courthouse – Saint Andrews

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old Gaol – Saint Andrews

 

 

 

 

 

 

Courthouse – Saint Stephen

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2018