Lunenburg County is named for George duke of Brunswick-Luneburg, who was Prince of the Principality of Calenbery in Germany.
Surrounding Courthouses:
N – Hants County and Halifax County
E – Atlantic Ocean
S – Queens County
W – Annapolis County and Kings County
![]()
County Created : August 17, 1759
County Seat:
Lunenburg 1759 – present
Old Courthouse – Lunenburg
Location: 119 Cumberland Street / Duke Street
Built: 1892 – 1893
Style: Second Empire
Architect: Henry Busch
Contractor: Henry Busch
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red coloured brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the town centre. The building has a mansard roof and south entrance that project from the centre of the facade. On the north side, the entrance is on the second story. The former courtroom is located on the second story. The building houses the Lunenburg City Hall.
Courthouse – Bridgewater
Location: 141 High Street / Anne Street
Built: 2007 – 2009
Style: Modern
Architect: Lydon Lynch Architects
Contractor: Unknown
Description: The building faces northeast and is a three story red coloured brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the south side of the centre of Bridgewater. On the northeast corner is an open concrete tower rising three stories to a sloped green coloured roof. The upper part of the building is red coloured brick. At the centre is a semi-circular section with large vertical windows. The green coloured roof is hipped. In the interior are four courtrooms.
Old Courthouse – Bridgewater
Location: 80 Pleasant Street / Dominion Street
Built: 1893 – 1894
Style: Second Empire
Architect: G Boehner and F Boehner
Contractor: Henry Sorette.
Description: The building faces south and is a three story white coloured wood frame structure. The building is located on the edge of an embankment in the center of the city. The lower story descends down the slope. The south front has a central projecting section with entrance on the first story and rising to a steep red coloured roof. There are dormers along the mansard roof. In the interior the large courtroom was located on the second story. The building was sold in 2010 and is now privately owned.
History: The county was one of the five original counties created in 1759. Lunenburg was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built in Luneburg in 1892 to 1893 and is still standing. The second courthouse was a wood frame structure built in Bridgewater in 1893 to 1894 and is still standing. The third and present courthouse was constructed in Bridgewater in 2007 to 2009 as the Bridgewater Justice Centre at a cost of $16,800,000.
County Courthouse – Lunenburg
Courthouse – Bridgewater
Old Courthouse – Bridgewater
Photos taken 2018
