Skip to content
Home » Canada Courthouses » Ontario » Huron County

Huron County

Huron County is named for the Huron Native America tribe.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Bruce County

E – Wellington County and Perth County

S –  Middlesex County

W –  Lambton County and Lake Huron 

 

 

Created:  March 6 , 1838                                    Huron County's location in relation to Ontario

County Seat: 

Goderich  1838 – present

 

Courthouse – Goderich  

 

Location:  1 Court House Square / West Street

Built:  1954 – 1956

Style:  Art Deco

Architect:  L G Bridgman of London

Contractor:  Ellis-Don Ltd. of London

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on the spacious landscaped grounds of Courthouse Park. The building was constructed with Indiana / Queenston limestone. The walls are trimmed with Queenston limestone and Virginia black coloured serpentine. The south and north sides have projecting centre sections with entrances on the first story and clocks at the top. There is an aluminum system of bandreeded trim and enclosed tube frames. The roof line is flat. In the interior has Art Deco ornamentation and a central staircase with metal railings. The courtroom has a wood paneled wall behind the judge’s bench. The building was renovated in 1994 to 1995. The architect was Allan Avis Architect and John Rutledge Architect and the contractor was Reid & Deleye Contractors Ltd.

 

 

History:  The county was created in 1838 and Goderich was selected as the county seat. The court of the District of London (Middlesex County) had jurisdiction until the first court met in a room at the top of the Old Goderich Jail built in 1841 to serve the United Counties of Huron, Bruce and Perth. The first courthouse was designed and built by Mellish, Morrell & Russell of Brantford from 1855 to 1856. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1954 to 1956.

 

 

Courthouse – Goderich

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Picture 1855-1856 Courthouse

 

 

Photos taken 2016