Skip to content
Home » Canada Courthouses » Ontario » Prescott and Russell Counties

Prescott and Russell Counties

Prescott County is named for the Major General Robert Prescott, Governor of Canada at the time the county was formed in 1800, and Russell County was named for Peter Russell, who was a general accountant of public funds and who came to Canada with John Graves Simcoe, the first Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada.

 

Created: 1820

District Seat: 

L’Original  1820 – present

 

Courthouse – L’Original

 

Location:  59 Court Street / Victoria Street

Built:  1962 – 1963

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Lablanc & Martin

Contractor:  Bertrande Frere Construction Companie Ltee

 

Description:  The building faces southwest and is a two story buff coloured limestone and concrete structure. The southwest front has a central recessed entrance on the first story with canopy and glass windows above. Brown coloured dividers are between the high windows on the south side  and the vertical windows on the north side. The roof line is flat. The building is connected to the Old Gaol on the northwest side which houses the Ontario Superior Court on the second story..

 

Courthouse – L’Original

 

 

Location:  1023 King Street / Court Street

Built:  Unknown

Style:  French Colonial

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces northwest and is a two story stone and wood structure. The northwest front has a central entrance on the first story with horizontal brown coloured band running between the first and second stories. On the hipped roof are three dormers. The building houses the Ontario Justice Court. 

 

Old County Gaol – L’Original

 

 

Location:  1030 Queen Street / Court Street

Built:  1824 – 1825

Style:  Neo-Classical

Architect:  Donald McDonald and Walter Beckwith

Contractor:  Donald McDonald and Walter Beckwith

 

Description:  The building faces northwest and is a two story limestone structure. The entrance to the old section of the building in on the northwest side with curved canopy above. The red coloured roof id hipped with a square white coloured cupola at the centre. The building is attached to the modern courthouse on the southeast side. The addition on the northeast side was built in 1961 to 1862. The building ceased to serve as a gaol in  1998 but contains a courtroom. The building is now a museum.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Quebec

E – Quebec

S – Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry

W – Ottawa-Carleton Region

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2014 and 2016