Skip to content
Home » Canada Courthouses » Prince Edward Island » Prince County

Prince County

Prince County is named for King George III of Great Britain.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Gulf of Saint Lawrence (Atlantic Ocean) and Quebec

E – Queens County 

S – Northumberland Strait and New Brunswick

W – Gulf of Saint Lawrence (Atlantic Ocean) and New Brunswick

 

Government of Prince Edward Island

County Created  :  1765

County Seat:  

Summerside  1765 – present

 

Courthouse – Summerside

 

Location:  108 Central Street / Notre Dame Street

Built:  1874 – 1876

Style:  Italianate

Architect:  John Corbett

Contractor:  Thomas Beattie

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story red coloured brick structure. The rectangular building is located on landscaped grounds in the city centre. The east front has a central entrance. On the second story is an arched window above the entrance. On the roof is a dormer. The corners have stone trim and the roof is hipped. The two courtrooms are located on the second story. The building was damaged by fire in 1906. In 1907, the building was rebuilt by D R Morison and Peter G Clark, both prominent local contractors. In 1938, the building was expanded with the construction of a third story. The contractor was M F Schurman Company Ltd.

 

History:  The county was created in 1765 and Summerside was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was located at St. Eleanors. During construction in 1874 to 1876 of the second and present courthouse, the carpenter was John Tobin and the plasterwork was completed by John McDonald.

 

Old Courthouse – Albertson

 

 

Location:  457 Church Street / Howlan Street

Built:  1877

Style:  Federal

Architect:  Prince Edward Island Department of Public Works

Contractor:  John Wiggins & Sons of Alberton

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a one story wood frame structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the city center. The south front of the rectangular shaped building has a small vestibule with arched entrance. The windows are long and arched. The roof is steeply pitched with gable ends. The basement of the Alberton Court House contained half a dozen cells as well as accommodation for a keeper. The building is now a National Historic Site and is the Alberton Museum.

 

  

Courthouse – Summerside

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old Courthouse – Albertson

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2018