Skip to content
Home » Canada Courthouses » Quebec » Iberville » Iberville – Iberville

Iberville – Iberville

Old Palais de Justice –Iberville ( Saint Jean sur Richelieu )

 

Location:  295 6 Avenue / Rue Balthazard

Built:  1860 – 1861

Style:  Classical

Architect:  Frederick Lawford and James Nelson

Contractor:  John Pearson

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a three story red coloured brick and stone structure. The west front has a projecting central section entrance with canopy on the first story. Above on the second story is large arched window and at the roof line is a pediment. The windows are trimmed with stone with a horizontal band running between the first and second stories. On the roof is a circular dome with arched openings. The roof is hipped. An addition was constructed in 1929. The architect was J E Benoit and the contractor was Leopold Roy. A further addition was constructed in 1957. The building is now the Ecole Notre Dame de Lourdes.

 

 Note:  During construction, the bricklayers were Simon Pepin and Laurent Pepin, the painter was Etienne Giard and the lath worker was Norberrt Mochon. The cost of construction was $4375. In 1922, the court functions were transferred across the Richelieu River to Saint Jean sur Richelieu.

 

See:  The Iberville Judicial District palais de justice is located in Saint Jean sur Richelieau..

 

 

 

Old Palais de Justice – Iberville

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2016