Skip to content
Home » US States » H-L » Kentucky » Simpson County

Simpson County

 

Simpson County is named for John Simpson, who was a military captain killed at the Battle of River Raisin.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Logan County and Warren County

E – Allen County

S – Sumner County, Tennessee and Robertson County, Tennessee

W – Logan County

 

Map of Kentucky highlighting Simpson County

Created:  January 28, 1819                    

County Seat:

Franklin  1819 – present

 

County Courthouse – Franklin 

 

Location:  101 West Cedar Street / North Main Street

Built:  1882 – 1883

Style:  Beaux Arts

Architect:  H P McDonald Brothers of Louisville

Contractor:  I J Bogan, James N LaRue and W W Bush ( supervisors )

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story dark red colored brick structure. The east front has a small portico supported by four columns and the entrance has arched windows above the doorway. The square red colored brick tower rises to a third story over the entrance. On the center of the roof is a large white colored square cupola with clock at the top and steep roof. In the interior are wood stairs ascending to the courtroom on the second story. In 1962 wings were added to the building on the north and south sides. The architect was Frank D Cain Jr. The building is located in Courthouse Square.

 

Note:  I J Bogan, James N LaRue and W W Bush were appointed to supervise construction. One of the McDonald Brother’s superintendents, Peter Pfeiffer, an experienced stone mason, probably supervised the construction as he had done for the jail in 1879. At that time, Simpson Countian, Cornelius Peden, and his workmen undertook the Herculean task of quarrying, transporting, shaping and assembling the huge limestone blocks for the jail under the watchful and expert eye of Mr. Pfeiffer.

 

See:  The architect H P McDonald and Brothers of Louisville, Kentucky.

 

Note:  The courthouse retains the original clock and bell made by the McShane Bell Foundry-Henry McShane and Company, Baltimore Maryland in 1883. The bell has been used through the years to announce the opening of court sessions.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Simpson County Courthouse

 

County Justice Center  – Franklin 

 

 

Location:  101 North Court Street / East Cedar Street

Built:  2002 – 2004

Style:  Modern

Architect:  CMW Inc. of Lexington

Contractor:  Venture Contracting Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The east front has a projecting center section with large arched window and peaked roof. On either side of the center section are entrances on the first story. The windows along the front are framed with large arches. The wide cornice runs below the flat roof line. The base of the building has white colored concrete. The center section of the building rises to a peak above the roof line. The building houses the County Circuit Court and County District Court of the 49th Judicial Circuit.

 

See:  The 49th Judicial Circuit includes Allen County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1819 and Franklin was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a log structure erected on the Courthouse Square in 1819. The courthouse was torn down in 1860 and the second courthouse built was a brick structure. The courthouse burned in May. 1882. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1882 t0 1883. The County Justice Center was constructed in 2002 to 2004.

 

Old County Jail and Jailer’s Residence – Franklin 

 

 

Location:  206 North College Street / West Washington Street

Built:  1879 – 1880

Style:  Medieval Fortress

Architect:  H P McDonald Brothers of Louisville

Contractor:  H P McDonald Brothers of Louisville and Peter Pfeiffer (supervisor)

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story light colored stone structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds to the north of the courthouse in the center of Franklin. The building houses a museum. On the south side is the Jailer’s Residence a two story red colored brick and wood structure built in 1835. It served as the jail from 1860 to 1879 as was converted to the Jailer’s Residence in 1879.

 

 

County Courthouse – Franklin

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Former Courtroom

 

 

County Justice Center – Franklin

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2007, 2014 and 2026

Images 20