Skip to content
Home » US States » M » Maine » Aroostook County » Aroostook County – Caribou

Aroostook County – Caribou

District Courthouse – Caribou

 

Location:  144 Swedent Street / Court Street

Built:  1895 – 1896

Style:  Italianate and Colonial Revival

Architect:  Wilfred E Mansur of Bangor

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces north and is two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Caibou. The north front has a projecting center section and has three arches on the first story, three arched windows on the second story and gabled roof above. On the center of the roof is a tall octagonal cupola with gold colored dome. On the west side is a two story concrete and glass structure built in 1972 to 1975. The recessed entrance has a concrete canopy. Vertical concrete dividers run between the windows. The roof line is flat. The architect was Alonzo J Harrison of Presque Isle and the contractor was General Supply Corporation of Limestone.

 

History:  In 1885, the court met in Clark’s Hall a three story building at Main Street and Sweden Street. The courthouse was built in 1895 to 1896 at a cost of $21,000.

 

See:  The Aroostook County courthouse is located in Houlton..

 

 

District Courthouse – Caribou

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2014