Kent County is named for the County of Kent in England.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Harford County and Cecil County
E – New Castle County, Delaware and Kent County, Delaware
W – Anne Arundel County, Baltimore and Baltimore County
Created: December 30, 1642 ![]()
County Seat:
Several places 1642 – 1680
New Yarmouth 1680 – 1697
Chestertown 1697 – present
County Courthouse – Chestertown
Location: 103 North Cross Street / High Street
Built: 1967 – 1969
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Walton & Madden
Contractor: Tucker & Duggan
Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Chestertown. The northeast front has a large portico with four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The central entrance is framed with white colored wood. There are small east and west wings which are lower than the main building. The roof is hipped. The old courthouse is along the south side.
See: The 2nd Judicial Circuit includes Caroline County, Cecil County, Queen Anne’s County and Talbot County.
Old County Courthouse – Chestertown
Location: 101 North Cross Street / High Street
Built: 1860 – 1861
Style: Italianate
Architect: John A Kennard
Contractor: John A Kennard
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story dark red colored brick Italianate style structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Chestertown. The front has a central entrance on the first story framed with white colored wood and a small pediment above. The center section projects from the main building and rises to a gable at the roof line. The first story windows have white colored shutters. The eaves of the roof extends from the building. An addition was built in 1884. The architect was J C Neilson and contractor was H M Stuart. A further addition was constructed and the building was remodeled in 1937. The architect was Henry Powell Hopkins and Allan Burton.
History: The county was created in 1642. There were several county seat locations until New Yarmouth in 1680. The first courthouse was built at Eastern Neck in 1679 to 1680. The county seat was moved to Chestertown in 1697 and the second courthouse was built in 1698. The courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1720. The third courthouse was built in 1720 to 1721. The courthouse was torn down when the fourth courthouse was built in 1860 to 1861 which is still standing. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1967 to 1969.
County Courthouse – Chestertown
Old County Courthouse – Chestertown
Photos taken 2013
