Skip to content
Home » US States » M » Massachusetts » Franklin County

Franklin County

Franklin County is named for Benjamin Franklin, who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence and who lived from 1706 to 1790.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Bennington County, Vermont, Windham County, Vermont and Cheshire County, New Hampshire

E – Worcester County

S – Hampshire County 

W – Berkshire County

 

Created:  June 24, 1811                         Map of Massachusetts highlighting Franklin County

County Seat: 

Greenfield  1811 – present

 

County Courthouse – Greenfield  

 

Location:  425 Main Street / Hope Street

Built:  1931 – 1932

Style:  Neo-Classical

Architect:  Frank King and Bernard Dirks

Contractor:  George H Reed Construction Company Inc. of Greenfield

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The north front has a central portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. Horizontal bands run below the flat roof line. In 2014 to 2015, a large addition is being constructed on the south side of the courthouse. The architect is Leers Weinzapfel Associates and the contractor is Whiting-Turner.

 

Old County Courthouse – Greenfield  

 

 

Location:  15 Bank Row / Main Street

Built:  1813 – 1814

Style:  Federal

Architect:  Asher Benjamin

Contractor:  Elijah Hughes

 

Description:  The building faces west and  is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is named as the E A Hall Building. A rear addition was added in 1836. In 1849 the doors and windows and the second story entrance were renovated. In 1879, the outside stairs were braced. The building was the first courthouse.

  

Old County Courthouse – Greenfield  

 

 

Location:  14 Court Square / Main Street

Built:  1848 – 1849

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  Isaac Damon

Contractor:  Isaac Damon

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The east front has a central projecting section with white colored wood framed entrance. A wide pediment supports a square based cupola with smaller section at the top. In 1872 the building was altered. The architect was Joseph R Richards and the contractor was Timothy E Stuart and Asa Lewis. The building now serves as the City Hall. The building served as the second courthouse.

 

Note:  The third courthouse was designed by Joseph R Richards and constructed by Timothy E Stuart and Asa Lewis in 1873.

 

Other Branch Courthouses

 

Orange

 

 

County Courthouse – Greenfield 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2014 and 2017