Skip to content
Home » US States » M » Michigan » Missaukee County

Missaukee County

Missaukee County is named for Missaukee, who was a prominent Indian chief also known as “Nesaukee” and which name means “at the mouth of big waters”.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Kalkaska County

E – Roscommon County

S – Clare County and Osceola County

 Wexford County

 

Created:  April 1, 1840                            Map of Michigan highlighting Missaukee County

County Seat:

Falmouth   1871 – 1873

Lake City   1873 – present

 

County Courthouse – Lake City

 

Location:  111 South Canal Street / John Street

Built:  1953 – 1954

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Gordon Cornwall of Traverse City

Contractor:  John Saul of Traverse City.

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story buff colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Lake City. The west entrance has a projecting white colored concrete portico. The north and south walls of the building are white colored stucco. The roof line is flat. A one story wing on the east side extends south with red colored panels around the windows. In the interior is a large courtroom with white colored walls, grey colored carpet and blue colored chairs. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 28th Judicial District, County District Court and County Probate Court. In 1959 a jail was constructed and attacked to the courthouse. The architect was St. Clare Padree and the contractor was Peter Schierbeek of Lake City. An addition was added in 1981. The architect was Jaye Miller of Traverse City and the contractor was Gust Construction Company of Cedar Springs. An addition was added on the east and north in 2002.

 

See:  The 28th Judicial District includes Wexford County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1840 and Falmouth was selected as the county seat in 1871 when the county was organized. The county rented the second story of the Perley, Palmer & Company building as the first courthouse. The second courthouse was a two story structure built in 1873 to 1874. In 1873, the county seat was moved to Lake City. The third courthouse was designed by George Nelson and constructed by John G Mosser in 1882 at a cost of $10,014. The building burned on February 17, 1944. The fourth courthouse was a temporary two story brick residence at 325 South Canal Street and Hill Street on the east side and is still standing. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1953 to 1955 at a cost of $162,000.

 

 

County Courthouse – Lake City

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Picture 1882 County Courthouse

 

 

Picture 1944 to 1954 County Courthouse

Photos taken 2008