Skip to content
Home » US States » M » Missouri » Shelby County

Shelby County

 

Shelby County is named for Isaac Shelby, who was the Governor of Kentucky and an American Revolutionary War soldier.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Knox County and Lewis County

E – Marion County

S – Monroe County

W – Macon County 

 

Map of Missouri highlighting Shelby County

Created:  January 2, 1835                      

County Seat:

Shelbyville  1835 – present

 

County Courthouse – Shelbyville  

 

Location:  100 East Main Street / North Jackson Street

Built:  1892 – 1893

Style:  Beaux Arts and Classical

Architect:  Jerome Bibb Legg of St. Louis,

Contractor:  Charles E Force and Company of Kansas City, Missouri

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is locate on the landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square in the center of Shelbyville. The building has entrances on the south, east and west. The entrance sections extend from the main building with a large arch with recessed entrance on the first story and a large arch around the window on the second story, and with a peak rising above. On the center of the roof is a large white colored octagonal cupola with black colored roof. The roof is hipped. In the interior wood stairs ascend to the second story where the County Circuit Court courtroom is located on the north side. On the south side of the second story was a small courtroom. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 41st Judicial Circuit.

 

See:  The architect, Jerome Bibb Legg of St. Louis, Missouri, also designed the courthouse in Ballard County, Kentucky and in Gasconade County, St. Charles County and Ste. Genevieve CountyMissouri.

 

See:  The 41st Judicial Circuit includes Macon County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1835 and Shelbyville became the county seat. The first courthouse was a two story brick structure built by Charles Smith, Samuel J Smith and James C Hawkins in 1739 at a cost of $4,000. Wait Barton contracted for wood work for $2,175 and Obadiah Dickerson was appointed superintendent. Wings were added in 1878 and the building was destroyed by fire on June 29, 1891. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1892 to 1893 at a cost of $24,380.

 

 

County Courthouse – Shelbyville

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Circuit Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2005, 2006, 2024 and 2026

Images 11*