Skip to content
Home » US States » N » New Hampshire » Belknap County

Belknap County

Belknap County is named for Jeremy Belknap, who was an early New Hampshire historian.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Carroll County 

E – Strafford County

S – Merrimack County

W – Grafton County

 

Created:  December 22, 1840                                                    Map of New Hampshire highlighting Belknap County

County Seat: 

Laconia  1840 – present

 

County Courthouse – Laconia  

 

Location:  64 Court Street / Academy Street

Built:  1892 – 1893

Style:  Romanesque

Architect:  William N Butterfield

Contractor:  Head & Dowst of Manchester

 

Description:  The building faces northwest and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Laconia. The north front has a one story porch with three large arches. Above the porch, there is a high peaked gable at the roof line. On northeast side is a high square red colored brick tower with steep roof. On the southwest side is a lower round tower with conical roof. The roof is hipped. In the interior, the County Superior Court courtroom is located on the second story.  On the southwest side is a modern addition constructed in 1975 to 1976 with three arches at the main entrance and a large arch on the southwest. The roof line is flat. The architect was Dudley, Walsh & Moyer and the contractor was Bonnette, Page & Stone.

 

District Courthouse – Laconia  

 

 

Location:  64 Court Street / Academy Street

Built:  1886 – 1887

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Frederick N Footman of Boston, Massachusetts

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the south side of the courthouse in the center of Laconia. The west front has a one story porch with aches. Behind the porch, the building rises to a pediment at the roof line. The center section of the building projects with south and north wings behind. On the center of the roof is a high square tower with steep roof.  The roof is hipped with dormers. The building was formerly the Laconia High School. The building was converted to a courthouse in 1977 to 1978. The architect was Douglas G Prescott and David McLaren Hart. The building was renovated in 2007 to 2008. The architect was Keith P Hemingway of Laconia and the contractor was Meridian Construction of Gilford.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Loconia District Court ( Laconia High School )

  

History:  The county was created in 1840 and Meredith was the first county seat. In 1855 part of the town became Laconia. The court must have met in a rented premises. The first and present courthouse was constructed in 1892 to 1893. The District Courthouse was acquired in 2007 to 2008.

 

 

County Courthouse – Laconia

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Superior Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

District Courthouse – Laconia

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2014