Skip to content
Home » US States » N » New Hampshire » Rockingham County

Rockingham County

Rockingham County is named for Charles Watson-Wentworth, who was the 2nd Marquess of Rockingham and a two time Prime Minister of Great Britain.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Strafford County and York County, Maine

E – Atlantic Ocean

S – Atlantic Ocean, Essex County, Massachusetts and Hillsborough County 

W – Hillsborough County and Merrimack County

 

Created:  March 19, 1771                                                           Map of New Hampshire highlighting Rockingham County

County Seat: 

Exeter         1771 – 1997

Brentwood  1997 – present

 

County Courthouse – Brentwood

 

Location:  10 Route 125 / S Road

Built:  1994 – 1996

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Bowell White Arnold & Hemberger Partners, Inc.

Contractor:  Hutter Construction, Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The north front has a large porch supported by two pillars and recessed entrance. Above the porch are large windows. On the east and west are projecting sections rising to peaks. On the south side the building descends a slight slope. The roof line is flat.

 

Old County Courthouse – Exeter

 

 

Location:  9 Front Street / Water Street

Built:  1854 – 1855

Style:  Second Empire

Architect:  Arthur Gilman

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick  structure. The building faces onto the town square. The east front has a high portico supported by four columns rising to a balcony on the second story. The building served as the courthouse until 1893 and serves as the City Hall. Across the street to the east is the 1891 Records Building designed by Fox & Gale.

 

Former County Courthouse – Exeter

 

 

Location:  1Hampton Road / Hampton Falls Road

Built:  1964 – 1966

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Maurice E Wilson

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The center section projects from the main building and has five rectangular windows with concrete header at the roof line. The roof line is flat. The building served as courthouse until 1997.

 

History:  The county was created in 1771 and Exeter was the county seat. The first courthouse had been erected in 1731 using the lumber from the old meeting house. The second courthouse was built in 1791 as a courthouse and townhouse. The building was moved to Court Street and South Street in 1834. And was destroyed by fire in 1841. The third courthouse was built in 1854 to 1855 and is still standing. The Records Byulding was built in 1891. The fourth courthouse was designed by George G Adams and built in 1893. The fifth courthouse was constructed in 1964 to 1965. The county seat was moved to Brentwood in 1997 and the sixth and present courthouse was constructed in 1994 to 1996.

 

Other Branch Courthouses

 

Candia  /  Derry  /  Plaistow  /  Portsmouth  /  Salem  /  Seabrook

 

County Courthouse – Brentwood

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old County Courthouse – Exeter

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old Records Building – Exeter

 

 

Former Courthouse – Exeter

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2014