Skip to content
Home » US States » N » New Jersey » Cape May County

Cape May County

Cape May County is named for Cornelius Jacobsen Mey, who was a Dutch explorer who surveyed the Delaware Bay area.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Atlantic County

E – Atlantic Ocean

S – Atlantic Ocean and Sussex County, Delaware

W – Kent County, Delaware and Cumberland County

 

Created:  November 12, 1692                                                    Map of New Jersey highlighting Cape May County

County Seat:

Cape May Court House  1692 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Cape May Court House  

 

Location:  11 North Main Street / Church Street

Built:  1848 – 1850

Style:  Greek Revival / Colonial

Architect:  Samuel Ware and James L Smith

Contractor:  Daniel Hand, Jr.

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story white colored wood frame structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Cap May Court House. The building faces east and was completed in 1850. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the north side of the current courthouse. The front of the rectangular building has a central arched entrance. The gable roof has a fanlight window. There are green colored shutters on the windows. On the roof is a square white colored wood cupola. The roof is hipped. The courtroom on the first story, approximately 34 feet by 54 feet and has wooden bench seats to either side of the center aisle separated from the judicial/jury area by a wooden railing with turned balustrade and a raised platform. The judge’s bench sets in a shallow apse featuring a center judge’s chamber, paneled door with transom, and flanking windows, all with paneled pilasters.

 

Note:  National Register of Historic Places – Old Cape May County Courthouse

 

County Courthouse – Cape May Court House  

 

 

Location:  9 North Main Street / West Mechanic Street

Built:  1926 – 1927

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Edwards & Green of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Contractor:  Bennett McLaughlin Company of Pennsylvania

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Cape May Court House. The east front has a large portico with four columns rising to a pediment. The north and south sections project slightly and have vertical pilasters at the corners. The roof line is flat. Along the north part of the front is a projecting red colored brick one story section built in 1865 as the Clerk’s Office. The front has a wide portico supported by four narrow columns rising to a wide green colored pediment with hipped roof above. On the west side is a modern three story red colored brick addition. On the south side of the courthouse is the red colored brick one story Clerk’s Office constructed in 1975.

 

History:  The county was created in 1692 and Cape May Courthouse was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was originally the first Baptist Church built in 1715. The second courthouse was built in 1774 by master builder Daniel Hand, Jr. and was destroyed by fire in 1905. The third courthouse was built in 1848 to 1850 and is still standing. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1926 to 1927.

 

 

Old County Courthouse – Cape May Court House

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Courthouse – Cape May Court House

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old County Clerk’s Office – Cape May Court House

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Clerk’s Office – Cape May Court House

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2017