Skip to content
Home » US States » N » New Jersey » Somerset County

Somerset County

Somerset County is named for Somerset County in England.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Morris County

E – Union County and Middlesex County

S – Mercer County

W – Hunterdon County 

 

Created:  May 22, 1688                                                              Map of New Jersey highlighting Somerset County

County Seat:

Perth Amboy  1688 – 1714

Six Mile Run   1714 – 1773

Millstone         1773 – 1782

Somerville      1782 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Somerville

 

Location:  40 North Bridge Street / Main Street

Built:  1907 – 1909

Style:  Palladin and Beaux Arts

Architect:  James Riely Gordon of Tracy and Swartwout of New York, New York

Contractor:  William H Fissell and Wagner of New York, New York

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story white colored Alabama marble structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. There is a high portico on the east, south and west sides with four columns rising to a pediment. The building forms a Greek cross. On the center of the roof is a round dome with thin columns, black colored roof and gold colored statue of Justice.

 

See:  The architect James Riely Gordon of San Antonio, Texas

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Somerset County Courthouse

 

County Courthouse – Somerville

 

 

Location:  40 North Bridge Street / Main Street

Built:  1984 – 1986

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Basco Associates of Marlton

Contractor:  Soldo Construction Company Inc. of Mahwah

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a five story glass, brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Somerville on the west side of the old courthouse. The southwest corner of the rectangular shaped courthouse has glass panels rising to the flat roof line. On the south side is the First Reformed Dutch Church (1897) which is used for the Jury.

 

History:  The county was created in 1688 and Perth Amoy in Middlesex County was the provincial seat of East Jersey. The court met in private homes. The first courthouse was built in 1714 to 1717 in Perth Amoy. In 1714, Six Mile Run became the county seat. The first courthouse and jail were erected in 1714. The courthouse burned in 1737. The county seat was moved to Millstone in 1737 and the second courthouse was built. The courthouse was burned by British forces in 1779. The county seat was moved to Somerville in 1782. The third courthouse was built together with the Dutch Reformed Church. In 1788, the church relinquished its use of the building. The fourth courthouse was built in 1799. The building was enlarged in 1849. The fifth courthouse was constructed in 1907 to 1909 and is still standing. The sixth and present courthouse was constructed in 1984 to 1986.

 

County Administration Building – Somerville

 

 

Location:  20 North Grove Street / Main Street

Built:  1989 – 1991

Style:  Modern

Architect:  The Musial Group

Contractor:  Century 21 Construction.

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a four story glass, steel and concrete structure.The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Somerville to the east of the courthouse. The windows are horizontal and the first story is recessed. The roof line is flat. On the north side is a plaza.

 

 

Old County Courthouse – Somerville

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Courthouse – Somerville

 

 

 

 

 

 

First Reform Dutch Church – Somerville

 

 

County Administration Building – Somerville

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2011