Skip to content
Home » US States » N » New Mexico » Hidalgo County

Hidalgo County

Hidalgo County is named for the town of Guadalupe Hidalgo, where the treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo was signed in 1848 which ended the Mexican War and ceded New Mexico to the United States.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Grant County

E – Grant County, Luna County and Mexico

S – Mexico

W – Cochise County, Arizona and Greenlee County, Arizona

 

Created:  February 25, 1919                  Map of New Mexico highlighting Hidalgo County

County Seat: 

Lordsburg  1919 – present

 

County Courthouse – Lordsburg  

 

Location:  300 South Shakespeare Street / East 3rd Street

Built:  1926 – 1927

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Thorman & Fraser

Contractor:  Jack Heather

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Lordsburg. Around the west front has a central entrance. Surrounding the entrance are stylized pilasters decorated with floral medallion symbols. Above this is a classically detailed pediment with dentilated horizontal and raking cornice, plain tympanum, and simplified ancon. This area is darkly painted, but was originally unpainted concrete. The flat roof line projects and has white colored stone trim below the projection. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building houses the District Court of the 6th Judicial District. The modern white colored stone addition on the north side was built in 1978. The architect was Burton, Leyendecker & Leyendecker, Inc. and the contractor was Thomas E Hartigan. On the east side is the one story rectangular shaped County Administration.

 

See:  The 6th Judicial District includes Grant County and Luna County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1919 and Lordsburg was selected as the county seat. The county used rented premises until the first and present courthouse was constructed in 1926 to 1927.  

 

 

County Courthouse – Lordsburg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Administration

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2007 and 2019