Skip to content
Home » US States » N » North Carolina » Lincoln County

Lincoln County

Lincoln County is named for Benjamin Lincoln, who was a major general during the American Revolutionary War who participated in the Siege of Yorktown and who lived from 1733 to 1810.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Catawba County

E – Iredell County and Mecklenburg County

S – Gaston County

W – Cleveland County and Burke County

 

Created:  April 14, 1778                          Map of North Carolina highlighting Lincoln County

County Seat: 

Tyrone Courthouse   1779 – 1785

Lincolnton                 1785 – present

 

County Courthouse – Lincolnton 

 

Location:  1 Courthouse Square / West Main Street

Built:  1921 – 1922

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  James A Salter

Contractor:  Henry Kistler

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story gray colored cut-stone masonry and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on the landscaped grounds of the courthouse circle in the center of Lincolnton. The building has a large portico on the east and west sides, supported by six large Doric columns rising to a pediment. A higher roof is behind and wings extend north and south. A projecting cornice runs between the second and third stories. In the interior, there is a cross hall plan with octagonal intersection, marble floors and baseboards and classical light fixtures on the first story. A dentil crown mold, bundled bay leaf bands and paneled pilasters with acanthus and palmette capitals decorate the halls, The courtroom is located on the second story. The building houses the County Superior Court and County District Court of the 27th Judicial District.The building was remodeled in 1985.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Lincoln County Courthouse

 

New County Courthouse – Lincolnton 

 

Location:  Gamble Drive / Lincoln Medical Park

Built:  2020 – 2022

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Moseley Architects

Contractor:  Barnhill Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds on the east side of the center of Lincolnton. 

 

See:  The 27th Judicial District includes Cleveland County and Gaston County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1779 and Tyrone Courthouse was selected as the county seat. The first court met in 1783 at the home of Christian Mauney nine miles from Lincolnton. In 1784, another private home was used. The county seat was moved to Lincolnton in 1785 and the first courthouse, a log structure was built. The second courthouse was a frame structure built in 1788. The third courthouse was built in 1810 and the former courthouse became a residence. The fourth courthouse was a brick and stone structure built in 1853 and demolished in 1921. The fifth courthouse was constructed in 1921 to 1923. The sixth and present courthouse was constructed in 2020 to 2022 at a cost of $40,000,000.

 

 

County Courthouse – Lincolnton

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2008 and 2012