Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Tennessee » Hamilton County » Hamilton County – Ooltewah

Hamilton County – Ooltewah

Old James County Courthouse – Ooltewah

 

Location:  9508 Church Street / Mulberry Street

Built:  1913 – 1914

Style:  Colonial Revival

Architect:  William Hatfield Sears of Chattanooga

Contractor:  M K Wilson

 

Description:  The building faces northwest and is a two story red colored brick, wood and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped ground in the center of Ooltewah. The northwest front has a large two story portico with four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line.  The roof is hipped. In 1919, the county was abolished and the building became a school, the Ooltewah Lodge No, 741 of the Free and Accepted Masons and the Mountain Oaks Wedding Chapel.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – James County Courthouse

 

History:  James County was formed January 30, 1871 with county seat at Harrison and moved to Ooltewah the same year. The previous courthouse built in 1870’s was destroyed by fire. The county went bankrupt and was annexed to Hamilton County in 1919.

 

See:  The Hamilton County courthouse is located in Chattanooga.

 

 

Old James County Courthouse – Ooltewah

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2018