Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Texas » Bastrop County

Bastrop County

Bastrop County is named for Felipe Enrique Neri, Baron of Bastrop, who was an early Dutch settler who assisted Stephen F Austin in obtaining land grants.


Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Williamson County and Lee County

E – Fayette County

S – Caldwell County

W – Travis County


Created:  March 17, 1836                       Map of Texas highlighting Bastrop County

County Seat: 

Bastrop  1836 – present


County Courthouse – Bastrop  


Location:  804 Pecan Street / Pine Street

Built:  1882 – 1883

Style:  Renaissance Revival and Neo-Classical

Architect:  Jasper N Preston & Sons and Frederick E Ruffini

Contractor:  John McDonald


Description:  The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Bastrop. The north front has stone trim surrounding the entrance. The building has narrow vertical windows and vertical white colored pilasters. On the center of the roof is a square dome with clock and red colored dome. In the interior, the courtroom is located on the second story. The building houses the State District Court, Constitutional County Court, County Court at Law and Justice Court. The building was renovated in 1923 by C H Page and Brothers. The building was further renovated in 1990. The architect was The Williams Company of Austin and the contractor was Gaeke Construction Company of Giddings. On the south side of the building is a buff colored brick addition constructed in 1974 as the Public Safety Building. The architect was Barnes Landes Goodman Youngblood William Clay Grobe, Associates and the contractor was H B Zachry Company. In 1981, the building was enlarged. The architect was Chuck Lenard of Smithville and the contractor was Sunbelt Construction of Austin. On the west side of the building is the old County Jail built by Martin Byrnes & Johnston in 1891.


History:  The county was created in 1836 as Mina County, one of the 23 original counties and the name was changed to Bastrop County and Bastrop was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a two room two-story house built in 1834 by order of the municipal council. In 1840, a residence was purchased to serve as the second courthouse. The third courthouse was constructed in 1852 on the site of the present courthouse. The building burned in 1883. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1882 to 1883.


County Courthouse Annex – Bastrop  



Location:  804 Pecan Street / Pine Street

Built:  2001 – 2003

Style:  Modern

Architect:  11 13 Architect of Georgetown

Contractor:  Workman Corporation of Austin.


Description:  The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Bastrop beside the courthouse. The building is “L” shaped with an east wing and south wing and with the courthouse on the northwest side. The windows are vertical and the roof line is flat. The building houses the courts.



County Courthouse – Bastrop























County Courthouse Annex – Bastrop







Old County Jail – Bastrop



Photos taken 2006 and 2014