Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Texas » Lamb County

Lamb County

Lamb County is named for George A Lamb, who was killed at the Battle of San Jacinto.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Parmer County and Castro County 

E – Hale County

S – Hockley County

W – Bailey County

 

Created:  August 21, 1876                      Map of Texas highlighting Lamb County

County Seat: 

Olton        1876 – 1946

Littlefield  1946 – present

 

County Courthouse – Littlefield

 

Location:  100 6th Drive  / Ltd Drive

Built:  1954 – 1955

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Atcheson & Atkinson

Contractor:  B F Horn Company

 

Description:  The building faces northeast and is a two story buff and red colored brick and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the Littlefield. The northeast front of the building has a projecting central entrance with glass panels. The windows are horizontal. The center of the roof rises a half story and roof line is flat. In the interior, the large courtroom is located on the south side of the second story and the small courtroom is located on the north side of the first story. The building houses the State District Court, Constitutional County Court and County Justice Court. The building was renovated in 2014 and 2015. The architect was Lenora Ash of Chapman Harvey in Lubbock and the contractor was Tim Collins of Collins Tile in Lubbock.

 

Old County Courthouse – Littlefield

 

 

Location:  1oo West 6th Street  / Phelps Avenue

Built:  1930 – 1932

Style:  Classical

Architect:  The Butler Company

Contractor:  Albert Neuenschwander

 

Description:  The building faces northeast and is a two story brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Littlefield on the north side of the courthouse. The building has a “T” shape with a wing extending southwest. The northeast front has a central entrance on the first story with arched frame and wrought iron balcony on the second story. The hipped roof has red colored tile. The building was constructed as the City Hal and served as the courthouse from 1946 to 1955.

 

History:  The county was created in 1876 and Olton was selected as the county seat in 1908 when the county was organized. The County remained unorganized until 1908. The first courthouse was a frame structure built in Olton in 1908. The building burned in 1922. The second courthouse was a two story brick structure designed by Smith & Townes and constructed by J B Maxey in Olton in 1923. When the county seat moved to Littlefield in 1946, the third courthouse was the city hall constructed in 1930. The Fourth and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $240,000.

 

 

County Courthouse – Littlefield  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old County Courthouse

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Site of 1923 County Courthouse – Olton

Photos taken 2014, 2016 and 2019