Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Texas » Martin County

Martin County

 

Martin County is named for Wylie Martin, who was an early settler in Texas.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Dawson County

E – Howard County

S – Glasscock County and Midland County

W – Andrews County

 

Created:  August 21, 1876                      Map of Texas highlighting Martin County

County Seat: 

Stanton  1884 – present

 

County Courthouse – Stanton

 

Location:  301 Saint Peter / Broadway Street

Built:  1974 – 1975

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Riherd & Huckabee of Andrews

Contractor:  Pace Construction Company of Midland

 

Description:  The building faces northeast and is a one story structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Stanton. The roof overhangs and is supported by numerous pillars. The main entrance on the east side is located towards the south. The roof line is flat. In the interior there is a wide central hallway. The courtroom is circular with a circular ceiling and wood paneled walls. The building houses the County District Court, Constitutional County Court and County Justice Court. On the west side of the building is the old two story jail built in 1885..

 

See:  The 7th Administrative Judicial Region has a main office in San Angelo in Tom Green County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1876 and attached to  Howard County for judicial purposes. Stanton (Marienville) was selected as the county seat in 1884 when the county was organized. The first courthouse was built in 1885 with the Jail which still stands. The second courthouse was a three story structure designed by Sam P Herbert and constructed by A J Olson in 1908 to 1909 . An addition was designed by Wyatt C Hedrick in 1950. The building was demolished in 1974 to make was for the third and present courthouse constructed in 1974 to 1975.

 

 

County Courthouse – Stanton

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old County Jail – Stanton

 

 

 

 

 

 

Monument with columns from 1908 County Courthouse

Photos taken 2014