Skip to content
Home » US States » A-G » Florida » St Johns County

St Johns County

St Johns County is named for the St Johns River which flows through northeastern Florida.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

– Duval County

E – Atlantic Ocean

S – Flagler County

W – Putnam County and Clay County

 

Created:  July 21, 1821                          Map of Florida highlighting St. Johns County

County Seat:

St   Augustine    1821 – present

 

County Courthouse – St  Augustine 

 

Location:  4010 Lewis Speedway / Avenue A

Built:  1993 – 1994

Style:  Modern Moorish

Architect:  Spillis, Candela & Partners Inc.

Contractor:  Metric Constructors

 

Description: The building faces east and is a three story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the north of the center of St Augustine. The east entrance has a projecting portico with arches on the first story, square openings on the second story and an open balcony on the third story. The building forms a “L” shape with enclosed courtyard bounded with the Administration Building on the east side. The hipped roof has red colored tiles. The entrance lobby extends up the third story. Dark wood paneling lines the hallways. The courtrooms are located on the third story which has a long north-south hallway on the east side. The building houses the Circuit Court of the 7th Judicial Circuit and County Court. The building is named as the Richard O Watson Judicial Center.  To the south is the County Services Center Building.

 

First Courthouse (Government House) – St  Augustine 

 

 

Location:  48 King Street / St George Street

Built:  1706 – 1707

Style:  Moorish / Spanish

Architect:  Spanish occupation

Contractor:  Spanish occupation

 

Description: The building faces north and is a two story stone structure. The building faces north onto Cathedral Plaza. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of St Augustine with Plaza de la Constitucion on the east side. The building is constructed of coquina and has a second story balcony on the southeast side. The roof is hipped. Serving as a residence, office, courthouse and social center during the Spanish and British occupation. In 1785 to 1787 the building was renovated. In 1833 to 1834, the building was rebuilt with Robert Mills as architect. In 1873, the building was remodeled with William M Kimball as architect. The building is named as the Government House.

 

See:  Ntional Register of Historic Places – Old Government House

 

Old County Courthouse – St  Augustine 

 

 

Location:  SE – King Street / Cordova Street

Built:  1886 – 1888

Style:  Moorish

Architect:  Franklin Waldo Smith

Contractor:  Franklin Waldo Smith

 

Description: The building faces west and is a four story concrete and glass structure. Known as the “Casa Monica”, the building is constructed of poured concrete. There are three towers, two with battlements and the third with clay title hipped roofs. The building was originally constructed as a hotel and served as courthouse from 1932 to 1994.

 

Note:   Escambia County and St Johns County were the two counties created in 1821 when Florida became a territory.

 

See:  The 7th Judicial Circuit includes Flagler CountyPutnam County and Volusia County.

 

See:  The county is located in the Fifth Judicial District of the Court of Appeal – Fifth Judicial District located in Daytona Beach.

 

History:  The county was created in 1821 and St Augustine was selected as he county seat. The first courthouse was the Government House at 48 King Street which had been built in 1706 to 1707 under Spanish occupation. The second courthouse was a two story structure designed by S Von Gemmingen and built by Master & Schultze in 1886. The building was enlarged in 1916 with McClure & Holmes as the architect. In 1962, the county purchased the former Casa Monica Hotel for $250,000 as the third courthouse. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1993 to 1994.

 

County Administration Building – St  Augustine 

 

 

Location:  4010 Lewis Speedway / Avenue A

Built:  1993 – 1994

Style:  Modern Moorish

Architect:  Spillis, Candela & Partners Inc.

Contractor:  Metric Constructors

 

Description: The building faces west and is a two story concrete and glass structure. A balcony runs along the second story. The center entrance projects from the main building. The roof is hipped. One part of the building has a three story square tower which projects from the main building. The building forms a quadrangle with a center square and with the courthouse on the west side.

 

Old County Jail – St  Augustine 

 

 

Location:  167 San Marcos Avenue / William Street

Built:  1891

Style:  Romanesque

Architect:  P J Pauley Jail Building and Manufacturing Company

Contractor:  P J Pauley Jail Building and Manufacturing Company

 

Description: The building faces west and is a two and three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of St Augustine. The building has a tree story center section and  a two story northern wing which housed the prisoners and a southern wing which housed the Sheriff and offices. The jail was closed in 1953. 

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places –  Old County Jail

 

 

County Courthouse – St Augustine

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Administration Building – St Augustine

 

 

 

 

County Services Center Building – St Augustine

 

 

 

 

First Courthouse (Government House) – St Augustine

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old County Courthouse – St Augustine

 

 

 

 

 

 

[

Old County Jail – St Augustine

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2009 and 2023