Old Campbell County Courthouse – Fairburn
Location: 45 Northeast Broad Street / Cole Street
Built: 1871 – 1872
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Smith & Brother.
Contractor: Smith & Brother.
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Fairburn. The northwest has four 20 foot high modeled concrete columns. Against the front wall is a full-length, double-curved, wrought-iron-encased stairway. The stairway frames the main floor central (double-door) entrance and has a narrow landing in front of the central single doorway upstairs entrance. Both front entrances are arched and have fan-lighting. The roof is hipped. In 1907, the building was remodeled. In 1983, the building was restored. The architect was Norman Davenport Askins.
Note: The cost of construction was $10,674.
History: Campbell County was named for Colonel Duncan G Campbell, one of the signers of the treaty made at Indian Springs in 1825 by which the Creeks ceded most of the land that later made up Campbell County. The County was created December 20 and 22, 1828 with the county seat at Campbelllton on the Chattahoochee River and the first courthouse was erected in 1825. The county seat was moved to Fairburn in 1870 and the second and present courthouse was erected in 1871 to 1872. In 1931, the County was merged with Fulton County and on January 1, 1932, the courthouse became the property of Fulton County.
See: The old Campbell County Courthouse is located in Fulton County with county seat in Atlanta.
Old Campbell County Courthouse – Fairburn
Photos taken 2020 and 2024
