Skip to content
Home » US States » V-Z » Washington » Klickitat County

Klickitat County

Klickitat Countyis named for the Klickitat Native American tribe.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Yakima County

E – Benton County

S – Morrow County, Oregon, Gilliam County, Oregon, Sherman County, Oregon, Wasco County, Oregon and Hood River County

W – Skamania County

 

Created:  December 20, 1859                Map of Washington highlighting Klickitat County

County Seat: 

Goldendale 1859 – present

 

County Courthouse – Goldendale

 

Location:  205 South Columbus Avenue / West Court Street

Built:  1941 – 1942

Style: Art Deco

Architect:  Walter Day Hilborn of Vancouver

Contractor:  Bradley Construction Company

 

Description:  The building  faces east and is a two story white colored stucco and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Goldendale. The east front has a projecting center section with recessed entrance. There are Art Deco lamp standards at the top of the stairs leading up to the entrance. The interior of the building is accessed via a small entry lobby which rises to up the second story or down to the first story and basement beyond. The stairway is lit with a grand Art Deco inspired pendant lamp centered on a coffered ceiling. Flooring is terrazzo highlighted by green colored baseboards and edges. At the top of the stairs is a set of formal double doors which access the County Superior Court courtroom. The courtroom doors are wood, with small single lights to view inside the courtroom. The courtroom exhibits its original maple veneer furnishings. The building has a north and south wing. The windows are vertical with decorative panels between. The roof line is flat. The building houses the County Superior Court and the County District Court. The building is a Works Project Administration project. 

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Klickitat County Courthouse

 

See:  The Judicial District includes Skamania County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1859 and in 1867 the first county seat was Rockland (now Dallesport). In 1878, Goldendale was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built in 1887 and burned on May 13, 1888. The second courthouse was a two story structure built in 1889. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1941 to 1942 at a cost of $103,950 for construction.

 

County District Courthouse – White Salmon

 

 

Location:  501 NE Washington Street / NE Shnohomish Avenue

Built:  2002 – 2003

Style: Modern

Architect:  Scott Edwards Architects

Contractor:  AM Todd Construction

 

Description:  The building  faces east. and is a two story wood frame structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of White Salmon. The building has olive green colored siding. The east front has a one story portico supported by stone pillars. The roof is hipped. The building houses the West County District Court.

 

 

County Courthouse – Goldendale

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Superior Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County District Courthouse – White Salmon

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2012 and 2016