Skip to content
Home » US States » V-Z » West Virginia » Upshur County

Upshur County

Upshur County is named for Abel Parker Upshur, who was a United States Secretary of the Navy and Secretary of State.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Harrison County and Barbour County

E – Randolph County

S – Webster County

W – Lewis County

 

Created:  March 26, 1851                       Map of West Virginia highlighting Upshur County

County Seat: 

Buckhannon  1851 – present

 

County Courthouse – Buckhannon 

 

Location:  38 West Main Street / South Locust Street

Built:  1899 – 1901

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Harrison Albright of Charleston

Contractor:  A F Withrow and Company of Charleston

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick, stone  and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Buckhannon. The north front has a large portico with four high Corinthian columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The central first story entrance has a small pediment above with large fanlight and decoration on the second story. On the center of the roof is a large octagonal dome with columns, windows and white colored dome with clock. In the interior, the courtroom is located on the second story.  The interior was remodeled in 1970. The architect was Richard L Smith Associates of Charleston and the contractor was Baker & Combs, Inc. of Morgantown. In 2007, the buildings were restored. The architect was Chapman Technical Group and the contractors were Huffman Corporation, Allegheny Restoration & Builders, Inc. and Keystone Waterproofing Inc.

 

County Courthouse Annex – Buckhannon 

 

 

Location:  38 West Main Street / South Locust Street

Built:  1993 – 1995

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Chapman Technical Group

Contractor:  Breckenridge Corporation

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a three story dark colored red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Buckhannon on the north side of the courthouse. The building forms an “L” shape joining the courthouse on the west side and having a south wing and an east wing. The north front has a curved porch with four white colored columns. The roof is hipped. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 26th Judicial Circuit, County Magistrates Court and Family Court. The building is named as the Judge Jack Dowell Jennings Annex. 

 

See:  The 26th Judicial District includes Lewis County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1851 and Buckhannon was selected as the county seat. The first court met at the home of Andrew Poundstone in Buckhannon in 1851. The first courthouse was built in 1854 at a cost of $7,300. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1899 to 1901 at a cost of $37,650. The County courthouse Annex was constructed in 1993 to 1995.

 

 

County Courthouse – Buckhannon 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Courthouse Annex – Buckhannon

 

 

Photos taken 2012