Skip to content
Home » US States » Virgin Islands

Virgin Islands

Virgin Islands was named by Christopher Columbus after the 11,000 Virgins of St. Ursula. 

 

Territory Acquired:  March 31, 1817         

Location:  Caribbean Sea

Capital:  Charlotte Amalie

 

Supreme Court Courthouse – Charlotte Amalie

 

Location:  Kanal Street / Domihus Strade

Built:  1993

Style:  Modern

Architect:  deJongh and Associates

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  Supreme Court is located in the center of Charlotte Amalie to the east of the Legislature. The building was officially opened on July 31, 1993. The building faces east and is part of the Alexander A Farrelly Judicial Center consisting of three wings with the Criminal Justice Building on the south side and the Police Department on the west side. The three-story building has a pink and white colored finish on the outside walls and a red colored roof. In the interior are four jury trial courtroom plus the Family Court with its own courtrooms.

 

Central Criminal Justice Building – Charlotte Amalie

 

Location:  5400 Veteran’s Drive / Kanal Street

Built:  1993

Style:  Modern

Architect:  deJongh and Associates

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building is located in the center of Charlotte Amalie and to the east of the Legislature and is named the Alexander A. Farrelly Judicial Center consisting of three wings with the Supreme Court Building and the Police Department on the north side. The building was officially opened on July 31, 1993, and faces south onto the Waterfront Highway. The three-story building has a pink and white colored finish on the outside walls and a red colored roof. There is a central courtyard with stairs leading up to the second floor.

 

Supreme Court Courthouse – Frederiksted

 

Location:  18 Strand Street / King Cross Street

Built:  1780

Style:  Dutch Colonial

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  Supreme Court is located at 18 Strand Street in the center of Frederiksted on St. Croix Island. The building is a two story structure. The pink colored building faces west towards the Caribbean Sea has a recessed first story and red colored roof. The building was purchased for use as the courthouse in 2007. The building was renovated and the architect was Gerville R Larsen.