Genesee County is named for a Seneca phrase meaning “good valley”.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Orleans County
E – Monroe County and Livingston County
S – Wyoming County
W – Erie County and Niagara County
![]()
Created: March 30, 1802
County Seat:
Batavia 1802 – present
County Courthouse – Batavia
Location: 11 West Main Street / Ellicott Street
Built: 1841 – 1843
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Holland Company
Contractor: Holland Company and local craftsmen
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story gray Onondaga limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Batavia. A series of six stone pilasters distinguish the first floor of the front. The central entrance is recessed. On the center of the roof is a square wood cupola. The base of the building is stone. The building was remodeled in 1931. In 1975 the building was renovated. The architect was Conablb Van Kuren & Gertis and the contractor was V J Gautieri.
Note: The gray cut Onondaga limestone was quarried from Consider Warner’s farm located in the Town of LeRoy.
Note: The first courthouse was built by John Elliott for the Holland Company.
County Courts Building – Batavia
Location: 1 West Main Street / Ellicott Street
Built: 1996 – 1997
Style: Modern
Architect: MRB Group
Contractor: Ciminelli-Cowper Company, Inc.
Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story red colored brick concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Batavia and has vertical red colored brick pilasters with a central section on the front having a wide pediment at the roof line. A horizontal band runs between the first and second stories. The roof is hipped.
County Administration Building – Batavia
Location: 15 West Main Street / Ellicott Street
Built: 1925 – 1927
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Bohacket and Brew of Rochester
Contractor: George W Buchholts
Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Batavia. The northeast front has a central entrance which is framed with white colored wood and recessed. Four vertical pilasters flank the entrance. The foundation is made of raised sandstone. Sandstone was also used to highlight window sills and lintels A balustrade runs along the flat roof line. In 1955 the building was expanded, and this annex was designed by Charles Ivan Cromwell of LeRoy.
See: The 8th Judicial District is located at 92 Franklin Street in Buffalo and includes Alleghany County, Cattaraugus County, Chautauqua County, Erie County, Niagara County, Orleans County and Wyoming County.
History: The county was created in 1802 and Batavia was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built by John Elliott for the Holland Company.. The second courthouse was constructed in 1902 on the site of Ellicott Hall, which was the first courthouse constructed west of the Genesee River. The building was destroyed by fire in 1912. The cost of construction of the county building was $150,000.
County Courthouse – Batavia
Photos taken 2010 and 2014
Images 11
