Maverick County is named for Samuel Augustus Maverick, who was an early legislator and later a rancher in the county.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Kinney County
E – Zavala County and Dimmit County
S – Mexico
W – Mexico
Created: February 2, 1856 ![]()
County Seat:
Eagle Pass 1871 – present
Old County Courthouse – Eagle Pass
Location: 501 East Main Street / Madison Street
Built: 1884 – 1885
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: James W Wahrenberger & Albert F Beckman of San Antonio
Contractor: William Hausser of Eagle Pass
Description: The building faces south and is a two story yellow colored plastered brick and stone style structure. The building is located on lthe andscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square in the center of Eagle Pass. The south front has a protruding center section with three arched windows on the first story and three high arched windows on the second story. On either side of the center section are porticoes supported by two columns for the entrance doorways. In the center of the roof is a high square stone clock tower. In the interior, the courtroom is located on the second story. The building was restored in 2005.
County Courthouse – Eagle Pass
Location: 500 Quarry Street / Madison Street
Built: 1978 – 1979
Style: Modern Mediterranean
Architect: Barton D Riley & Associates
Contractor: Hallman & Keele Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Eagle Pass. The building is comprised of an east and west section with a center entrance and enclosed courtyard. The windows are vertical with projecting white colored frames. The red colored roof is sloped with a flat center roof line section. In the interior, the courtroom is located on the southeast side of the second story. The building houses the State District Court and Constitutional County Court.
Note: The 4th Administrative Judicial Region has a main office at San Antonio in Bexar County.
History: The county was created in 1856 and Eagle Pass was selected as the county seat in 1871 when he county was organized. The county occupied rental premises until the first courthouse was constructed in 1884 to 1885 and is still standing. The courthouse and a jail were erected at total cost of $20,489. The jail was replaced in 1949 and sits on the north side of the old courthouse. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1978 to 1979.
Old County Courthouse – Eagle Pass
Old County Jail – Eagle Pass
County Courthouse – Eagle Pass
Photos taken 2006, 2014 and 2019
