Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Texas » Kinney County

Kinney County

Kinney County is named for Henry Lawrence Kinney, who was an unsuccessful land speculator.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Edwards County

E – Uvalde County

S – Maverick County

W – Mexico and Val Verde County

 

Created:  January 28, 1850                    Map of Texas highlighting Kinney County

County Seat: 

Brackettville  1876 – present

 

County Courthouse – Brackettville  

 

Location:  501 South Ann Street / James Street

Built:  1909 – 1910

Style:  Beaux Arts

Architect:  L L Thurmon of Dallas

Contractor:  Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story buff colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square in the center of Brackettville. At each corner is a hexagonal tower with red colored roof. The east front has a recessed entrance and the north and south sides have small one story porticoes supported by two columns. On the building center is an octagonal dome with clock and red colored roof. In the interior, the courtroom is located on the second story and in the hall is the old clock works.. The building houses the State District Court, Constitutional County Court and County Justice Court. 

 

See:  The architect, L L Thurmon & Company of Dallas also designed curthouses in Franklin County, Henderson County and Jeff Davis County.

 

See:  The contractor Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky.

 

Old County Courthouse – Brackettville  

 

 

Location:  501 South Ann Street / James Street

Built:  1878 – 1879

Style:  Federal

Architect:  Jeff W Paulson

Contractor:  Jeff W Paulson

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a two story stone structure. The building is located to the south of the present courthouse on Courthouse Square. The south front has a recessed central entrance. The roof is hipped. In the interior, the former courtroom is located on the second story. The building is now the Masonic Lodge.

 

History:  The county was created in 1850 and was assigned to Bexar County for judicial purposes. Brackettville was selected as the county seat in 1873 when the county was organized. The first court met at the home of Oscar B Brackett and later at Kartes and Company. The first courthouse was built in 1879 and served until 1911. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1909 to 1910.

 

 

County Courthouse – Brackettville 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old Clock Works

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old County Courthouse – Brackettville 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2006, 2014 and 2019