Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Texas » Edwards County

Edwards County

Edwards County is named for Hayden Edwards, who was one of the first American settlers of Nacogdoches.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Sutton County and Kimble County

E – Kerr County and Real County

S – Kinney County

W – Val Verde County

 

Created:  February 1, 1858                    Map of Texas highlighting Edwards County

County Seat: 

Bullhead ( Vance )  1883 – 1884

Leakey                    1884 – 1891

Rocksprings            1891 – present

 

County Courthouse – Rocksprings

 

Location:  400 Main Street / West Street

Built:  1899

Style:  Romanesque Revival

Architect:  Ben Davey and Bruno Schort of Kerrville

Contractor:  Ben Davey and Bruno Schort of Kerrville

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story course cream colored limestone, wood and concrete structure.  The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Rocksprings. The limestone used to construct the courthouse came from a local Rocksprings quarry just east of the city limits. The south front has a protruding section with a stone arch around the entrance rising to a gable. The roof is hipped. In the interior, the large courtroom is located on the second story. The courtroom contains the original judge’s bench and balustrade. The building houses the State District Court, Constitutional County Court and County Justice Court. The building was renovated in 2012 to 2014. The architect was Stan Klein and the contractor was J C Stoddart Construction Company. On the northeast corner of courthouse square is the old two story stone County Jail.

 

Note:  Unlike many state courthouses constructed with specific designs for courtrooms and offices, designating the Edwards County courthouse rooms were left to commissioners. On May 11, 1892, Commissioner Court minutes recorded the office assignments: “the southwest room is the County and District Clerk’s room, the southeast room is the County Judge’s Office, the northeast room is for the Sherriff’s Office, and the northwest to be used as County Surveyor’s, County Treasurer’s and Assessor’s office. The small southeast room on the second story is designated as the Grand Jury Room and the other small northeast room is to be used by the Petit Jury room and the large room to be used as the courtroom.”

 

History:  The county was created in 1858 and Bullhead ( Vance ) was selected as the county seat in 1883 when the county was organized. In 1884 the county seat was moved to Leakey. The first courthouse was built in 1883 to 1884 and later burned in 1888. In 1913, Leakey would become the county seat for Real County. In 1891 the county seat was moved to Rocksprings. The second  courthouse was designed and built by was Ben Davey and Bruno Schort of Kerrville in 1890 to 1891 at a cost of $18,000. On December 23, 1898, the courthouse was destroyed leaving only the outer walls. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1899 by the original contractors Ben Davey and Bruno Schort of Kerrville but in a simpler design. The roof of the building was damaged by a tornado in 1927. The cost of the renovation in 2012 to 2014 was $1,000,000.

 

 

County Courthouse – Rocksprings

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Restoration County Courthouse 2014

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old County Jail – Rocksprings

 

 

Photos taken 2006. 2014 and 2017