Orange County is named for William III of England, who was from the House of Orange.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Madison County and Culpeper County
S – Louisa County and Albemarle County
W – Greene County and Madison County
Created: February 1, 1734 ![]()
County Seat:
William Robertson House 1734 – 1735
John Bramham House 1735 – 1749
Timothy Crosthwait House 1749 – 1752
Orange County Courthouse 1752 – 1790
Orange 1790 – present
Old County Courthouse – Orange
Location: 105 West Main Street / North Madison Road
Built: 1858 – 1859
Style: Italian Villa
Architect: Haskins & Alexander of Washington, DC
Contractor: Spooner & Darrow
Description: The building faces south and is a one and a half story white colored brick and wood structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Orange. The south front facade features a three-part arcade consisting of a semi-elliptical arch flanked by small semicircular arches. Above the arcade is a three stage tower consisting of the main entrance as the first stage; a clock, installed within existing round windows in 1949, as the second stage; and arched openings with louvres covered by a shallow hip roof and topped by a finial complete the tower. The building was remodeled in 1949 and again in 2003 when the arches were re-opened. Next to the building are the Old County Clerk’s Office ( 1894 ) and the County Office Building. On the north side is the new courthouse.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Orange County Courthouse
County Courthouse – Orange
Location: 110 North Madison Road / West Main Street
Built: 2003 – 2005
Style: Modern
Architect: Hayes, Seay, Mattern & Mattern Inc. of Virginia Beach
Contractor: Kenbridge Construction of Kenbridge
Description: The building faces north and is a three story concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Orange. The north front has a semi circular arcade on the first story with recessed entrance. A projecting central tower rises to the roof line. The east and west wing project slightly from the main building and rise to peaks. The roof is hipped. The building houses the County Circuit Court, County General District Court and County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court of the 16th Judicial District.
See: The 16th Judicial Circuit includes Albemarle County, Charlottesville, Culpeper County, Fluvanna County, Goochland County, Greene County, Louisa County and Madison County.
History: The county was created in 1734 and Orange County Courthouse was selected as the county seat in 1749. The first court was designated to be held at the house of William Robertson on Black Walnut Run in 1834. In 1735, the location was changed to the house of John Bramham. The first courthouse was built by Thomas Jones and Henry Willis in 1737 to 1739 at Somerville’s Ford. Henry Willis was paid for building the prison and for finishing the courthouse. In 1749, the court moved to the home of Timothy Crosthwait at Orange. The second courthouse was built by Charles Curtis at Orange in 1750 to 1752. In 1754 to 1761 an addition was built by James Walker. County seat name changed to Orange in 1790. The third courthouse was built in 1802 to 1804 at a cost of $62,340 for the courthouse and clerk’s office. The courthouse was torn down for railway construction. The fourth courthouse was built in 1858 to 1858 and is still standing. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 2003 to 2005.
Old County Courthouse – Orange
Old County Clerk’s Office – Orange
County Office Building – Orange
County Courthouse – Orange
Photos taken 2013
