Skip to content
Home » US States » V-Z » Virginia » Culpeper County

Culpeper County

Culpeper County is named for Thomas Culpeper, who was an English Lord.


Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Rappahannock County and Fauquier County

E – Stafford County and Spotsylvania County

S – Orange County

W – Madison County


Created:  March 23, 1748                       Map of Virginia highlighting Culpeper County

County Seat: 

Faifax       1749 – 1870

Culpeper  1870 – present


County Courthouse – Culpeper 


Location:  135 West Cameron Street / West Street

Built:  1872 – 1873

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Samuel Proctor

Contractor:  Samuel Proctor


Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Culpeper. The south front has steps rising to a second story portico supported by four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. Behind the pediment is a high square brick clock tower with octagonal cupola and steep green colored roof at the top. The second story windows are arched. On the north side is a modern rectangular three story red brick structure constructed in 1973 to 1974 which houses the courts. The roof line is flat. The building houses the County Circuit Court, County General District Court and County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court of the 16th Judicial District. The main entrance is on West Cameron Street. The County Sheriff’s Office is housed in an old red colored brick building on the east side.


See:  The 16th Judicial Circuit includes Albemarle CountyCharlottesville, Fluvanna CountyGoochland County, Greene County, Louisa County, Madison County and Orange County.


History:  The county was created in 1748 and Fairfax was selected as the county seat in 1749. The first courthouse was constructed in 1750 at the northeast corner of Main Street and Davis Street. The courthouse was deemed unsafe in 1808 and was replaced by the second courthouse constructed on the same site in 1810. In 1870, the name of Fairfax was changed to Culpeper and in 1871 the courthouse was torn down. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1872 to 1873.



County Courthouse – Culpeper

















County Sheriff’s Office – Culpeper





Photos taken 2013