Skip to content
Home » US States » V-Z » Virginia » Stafford County

Stafford County

Stafford County is named for Staffordshire County in Great Britain.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Prince William County

E – Charles County, Maryland, King George County and Caroline County

S – Spotsylvania County and Fredericksburg

W – Culpeper County, Faquier County and Prince William County

 

Created:  June 5, 1666                           Map of Virginia highlighting Stafford County

County Seat: 

Stafford  1666 – present

 

County Courthouse – Stafford  

 

Location:  1300 Courthouse Road / Jefferson Davis Highway

Built:  1922 – 1923

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  Philip N Stern

Contractor:  Walter Snelling

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building forms part of the courthouse complex located on landscaped grounds in the center of Stafford. The east front has a large porch with six white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The recessed entrance is framed with white colored wood. The original building is rectangular with a white colored cupola with large square base on the center of the hipped roof. The building houses the County Circuit Court, County General District Court and County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court of the 15th Judicial Circuit. An addition was constructed in 1969. The contractor was Henry C Johnson. Another addition was added in 1977. On the west side is the new addition constructed in 1993 and is named as the County Judicial Center with entrance on the north side.

 

See:  The 15th Judicial Circuit includes Caroline CountyEssex County, Fredericksburg, Hanover CountyKing George CountyLancaster CountyNorthumberland County, Richmond County, Spotsylvania County and Westmoreland County

 

History:  The county was created in 1664 and the county was organized in 1666. The court first met in private homes. In 1961, Marlborough was established and the first courthouse was a wood structure built. The courthouse burned in 1715 and was not replaced. The second courthouse was built in 1715 at Stone Landing. In 1783, the county seat was moved to Stafford and the third courthouse, a one story structure was built. The fourth courthouse was a one story “T” shaped structure built in 1840. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1922 to 1923. The County Judicial Center was constructed in 1993.

 

County Administration Building – Stafford  

 

 

Location:  1300 Courthouse Road / Jefferson Davis Highway

Built:  1990 – 1001

Style:  Modern

Architect:  The Mosley Group

Contractor:  Centex Simpson Construction Company Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Stafford on the north side of the courthouse. The building is “L” shaped with a long north wing and east wing and with a smaller south wing on the west side. The west front has a one story porch at the entrance with large brick pillars and hipped roof. Along the top of the second story is a hipped roof with recessed third story. The roof is hipped. The architect was  and the contractor was

 

 

County Courthouse – Stafford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Judicial Center – Stafford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Administration Building – Stafford

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2013