Skip to content
Home » US States » V-Z » Virginia » Lancaster County

Lancaster County

Lancaster County is named for the City of Lancaster in the United Kingdom.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Northumberland County

E – Northumberland County and Accomack County

S – Middlesex County

W – Richmond County

 

Created:  1651                                        Map of Virginia highlighting Lancaster County

County Seat: 

Queenstown  1652 – 1742

Lancaster       1742 – present

 

County Courthouse – Lancaster 

 

Location:  8265 Mary Ball Road / Courthouse Road

Built:  1860 – 1861

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  Edwin O Robinson

Contractor:  Edwin O Robinson

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Lancaster. The south front has a large Roman Doric portico with four white colored columns rising to a pediment with fanlight at the roof line. The central entrance is framed with white colored wood. On the hipped roof is a high white colored belfry. A narrow vestibule leads to a large courtroom.  A “U” shaped addition was constructed on the north side in 1937. On the Courthouse Green, the original clerk’s office (1797), and the old jail (1870) still stand. Mary Ball Washington Museum, Incorporated uses these two buildings.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Lancaster Court House Historic District

 

County Judicial Center – Lancaster 

 

 

Location:  8265 Mary Ball Road / Courthouse Road

Built:  2008 – 2010

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Wiley and Wilson of Lynchburg

Contractor:  David A Nice Builders

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Lancaster to the northwest of the old courthouse. The south front has a portico with four white colored columns rising to a pediment with fanlight at the roof line. The central entrance is framed with white colored wood. The east and west wings angle out from the main building. On the roof is an octagonal white colored cupola. The roof is hipped. The building houses the Circuit Court, General District Court and Juvenile Court of the 15th Judicial District. The building is the County Judicial Center.

 

See:  The architect, Wiley and Wilson of Lynchburg, also designed courthouses in Charles City CountyGloucester County, Lunenburg County, Middlesex County and Richmond County. 

 

See:  The 15th Judicial Circuit includes Caroline CountyEssex County, Fredericksburg, Hanover CountyKing George CountyNorthumberland County, Richmond County, Spotsylvania CountyStafford County and Westmoreland County

 

History: The county was created in 1651 and Queenstown was established as the county seat in 1652. The first courthouse was built by William Norgham in 1654 near the Corrotoman River. The courthouse was moved to the land of Captain William Ball by 1698. The courthouse was moved again in 1738. The county seat was moved to Lancaster Courthouse in 1742. The second and present courthouse was built in 1860 to 1861 and is still standing. The County Judicial Center was constructed in 2008 to 2010.

 

 

County Courthouse – Lancaster

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Judicial Center – Lancaster

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2013