Skip to content
Home » US States » V-Z » Virginia » King George County

King George County

King George County is named for King George I of Great Britain.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Charles County, Maryland

E – Westmoreland County and Essex County

S – Caroline County

W – Stafford County and Charles County, Maryland

 

Created:  November 2, 1720                  Map of Virginia highlighting King George County

County Seat: 

King George  1721 – present

 

County Courthouse – King George 

 

Location:  9383 Kings Highway / Rectory Lane

Built:  1922 – 1923

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  E G Heflin of Fredericksburg

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The south front has a central portico with four white colored columns rising to a pediment with fanlight at the roof line. The recessed door is arched with large arched windows on either side. He roof is hipped at the center section. The building extends east and west with a flat roof line. The building was remodeling in 1960 and in 1973, the building was enlarged. The architect was Robert J Leary and the contractor was Milton L Hammond.

 

See:  The 15th Judicial Circuit includes Caroline CountyEssex County, Fredericksburg, Hanover CountyLancaster CountyNorthumberland County, Richmond County, Spotsylvania CountyStafford County and Westmoreland County

 

 

County Administration Building – King George 

 

 

Location:  0459 Courthouse Drive / Kings Highway

Built:  1975 – 1976

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is an “L” shape with a north and east wing. A one story porch extends part way along the north wing and along the east wing. red colored brick facing is on the first story. The roof id hipped. The building is located on the northeast side of the courthouse. The building was remodeled and converted in 1993 and 1994. The architect was The Moseley McClintock Group and the contractor was Sabre Construction Corporation.

 

 

County Courthouse – King George 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2013