Skip to content
Home » US States » M » Missouri » Ste. Genevieve County

Ste. Genevieve County

 

Ste. Genevieve County is named for Sainte Genevieve, who is the patron saint of Paris, France.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Jefferson County, Monroe County, Illinois and Randolph County, Illinois

E – Randolph County, Illinois

S – Perry County and St. Francois County

W – St. Francois County

 

Map of Missouri highlighting Ste. Genevieve County

Created:  October 1, 1812                      

County Seat: 

Ste. Genevieve  1812 – present

 

County Courthouse – Ste. Genevieve

 

Location:  55 South 3rd Street / Market Street

Built:  1885 – 1886

Style:  Federalist Revival

Architect:  Jerome Bibb Legg of St. Louis,

Contractor:  Albert A Boyer

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick, wood and Ste. Genevieve sandstone  structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the Courthouse Square in the center of Ste. Genevieve. There is stone trim at the windows. The roof rises on a slope to a flat roof line. There are gables at the roof peaks. In the interior, offices occupy the first story with the hallway running east-west. Wood stairs ascend to the second story. The County Circuit Court courtroom is located on the second story and is 40 feet square. There is also a small courtroom on the second story. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 24th Judicial Circuit. The architect was Jerome Bibb Legg of St. Louis and the contractor was Albert A Boyer. In 1915, a western and southern extension were constructed for county offices. The architect was Robert G Kirsch and the contractor was McCarthy Construction Company. On the north side is the clerk’s office was designed in 1875 by John S Whitlock and built by Joseph B Jennings. On the south side is the old jail also built in 1875.

 

See:  The architect, Jerome Bibb Legg of St. Louis, Missouri, also designed the courthouse in Ballard CountyKentucky and in Gasconade County, Shelby County and St. Charles CountyMissouri. In 1885, he also designed the courthouse in St. Francois County which was torn down.

 

See:  The 24th Judicial District covers Madison CountySt. Francois County and Washington County.

 

Old Brick House – Ste. Genevieve  

 

 

Location:  90 South 3rd Street / Market Street

Built:  1785 – 1786

Style:  Federalist Revival

Architect:  John Price

Contractor:  John Price

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Ste. Genevieve across from the County Courthouse. The west front has a central entrance on the first story. The red colored roof is hipped. The building housed the Missouri territorial courts, and later the County Courts from 1812 to 1823 when Henry Dodge was the owner. The building is named as the Old Brick House. 

 

Note:  The Old Brick House is believed to be the first brick building west of the Mississippi River.

 

History:  The Old Brick House was built By John Price in 1785 and housed the Missouri territorial courts. The county was created in 1812 and Ste. Genevieve was selected as the county seat. The first courts met in private homes including the home of Henry Dodge who had purchased the Old Brick House in 1811 which then served as the first courthouse until 1823. The second courthouse was a two story brick structure built by Loper and McCullough on the east side of the Courthouse Square across from the Old Brick House in 1823 at a cost of $1,000. Interior renovations were made in 1853 and 1855. The building was repaired in 1865 after the Civil War. A fireproof clerk’s office was built by Joseph B Jennings on the northeast corner of the Courthouse Square in 1875 at a cost of $2,500. Also in 1875, the jail was designed by John S Whitlock and built by Peter J Pauley and Brothers on the southeast corner of the Courthouse Square at a cost of $5,000. Both buildings are still standing flanking the courthouse. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1885 to 1886 at a cost of $8,000. An extension was constructed in 1915. A south addition was constructed in 1986.

  

 

County Courthouse – Ste. Genevieve

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Circuit Court small courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Architect’s original drawing of courthouse

 

 

 

Old County Clerk’s Office – Ste. Genevieve

Photos taken 2009 and 2026

Images 16*