Skip to content
Home » Canada Courthouses » New Brunswick » Carleton County

Carleton County

 

Carleton County was named for Thomas Carleton, who was the brother of Sir Guy Carleton, and the first lieutenant-governor of New Brunswick.

 

Surrounding Courthouses: 

N – Victoria County

E – York County

S – York County

W – Maine 

 

                                                                             Location within New Brunswick.

County Created  :  1831

County Seat:  

Woodstock  1831 – present

 

Courthouse – Woodstock

 

Location:  687 Main Street / Maple Street

Built:  1909 – 1910

Style:  Romanesque

Architect:  F Neil Brodie

Contractor:  R A Corbett.

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story red coloured brick and sandstone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the city centre and was originally built in 1884 and was rebuilt in 1909 to 1910. The building was rebuilt in 1909 to 1910 as an addition on the north side to the Registry Office located on the south side. The east front has two stone framed arched entrances. The first story windows are arched with stone trim at the top. The second story has square shaped windows with two arched windows above the entrances and with peaked roofs above, The roof is hipped with three dormers. The large courtroom is located at the centre of the ground floor. On the west side of the courthouse is the old gaol designed by H H Mott of Saint John and built in 1901.

 

Note:  During construction Fewer Brothers completed the plumbing and heating and C I Churchill completed the hot water heating system.

   

Old Courthouse – Upper Woodstock 

 

 

Location:  19 Court Street / Highway 560

Built:  1833 – 1834

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story white coloured wood frame structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the village centre. The east front has a central porch at the entrance. The roof is sloped. The courtroom at the north side extends two stories with a “U” shaped balcony. The building was enlarged in 1865 to 1866. The architect was H Studdard and the contractor was L R Harding. The building is now used by the Carleton County Historical Society

 

Note:  Richard Ketcham donated the six acres of land on which the courthouse was constructed in the style of a New England meeting house.

 

 

Courthouse – Woodstock

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old Gaol – Woodstock

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old Courthouse – Upper Woodstock

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2018