Skip to content
Home » Canada Courthouses » New Brunswick » Kings County

Kings County

Kings County was named for King George III of Great Britain.

 

County Created  :  1785 ( one of the 8 original counties )

County Seat:  

Hampton  1785 – present

 

Old Courthouse – Hampton

 

Location:  648 Main Street / Centennial Road

Built:  1870 – 1872

Style:  Second Empire

Architect:  J T C McKean

Contractor:  James Quinton and Charles F Tilley

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red coloured brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the centre of the city. The south front has a large central brick portico at the entrance. The windows are arched. The building has a bellcast mansard roof with raised central tower. On the east side is the old gaol.

 

  

Note:  The cost of construction of the courthouse was $14,000. The building ceased to act as a courthouse in 2014 when the court was moved to the new courthouse in Saint John.

 

Courthouses: 

N –  Queens County

E – Westmorland County and Albert County 

S – Saint John County

W – Charoltte County and Queens County

 

 

 

Old Courthouse

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old Gaol

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2018