Skip to content
Home » Canada Courthouses » Ontario » Peterborough County

Peterborough County

Peterborough County is named for Colonel Peter Robinson, who brought 2,000 settlers from Ireland in 1825.

 

Courthouse – Peterborough

 

Location:  470 Water Street / Brock Street

Built:  1839 – 1840

Style:  Regency

Architect:  Joseph Scobell of KIngston

Contractor:  Joseph Scobell of KIngston

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story cut stone structure. The stone was quarried at Jackson’s Park. The west front has a small portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the second story. Above is a wide pediment at the roof line. The roof is hipped. The courtroom is located on the second story above the entrance. The building was constructed as the Colborne District Courthouse.

 

Courthouse – Peterborough

 

 

Location:  70 Simcoe Street / Queen Street

Built:  Unknown

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces south. The building houses the Superior Court of Justice and the Ontario Court of Justice.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Haliburton County

E – Hastings County

S – Northumberland County 

W – Durham County and Kawartha Lakes Region 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2016 and 2017