Skip to content
Home » Mexico Courthouses » Puebla

Puebla

Puebla is derived from the Spanish word “pueblo” meaning “people” or “village”.

 

Surrounding States: 

N – TlaxcalaHidalgo and Veracruz

E – Veracruz

S – Oaxaca

W – GuerreroMorelos, MexicoTlaxcala and Hidalgo

 

Created:  December 21, 1823                     Puebla - Wikipedia

State Capital: 

Puebla     1823 – present

 

Highest Point :  18,855 feet  (  5747 metres ) – Pico de Orizaba

Lowest Point:  1,640 feet ( 500 metres ) – Rio Pantepec

 

Old Government Palace (Palacio de Gobierno) – Puebla

 

Location:  Avenida Reforma / Calle 7 Sur

Built:  1767

Style:  Spanish Colonial

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unkown

 

Description:  The building faces north and is located to the west of the centre of Puebla on the south side of Avenida Reforma with Calle 7 Sur on the east side and Calle 9 Sur on the west side. The stone building is two stories and faces north onto Avenida Reforma.

 

Government Palace (Palacio de Gobierno) – Puebla

 

 

Location:  Avenida 14 Oriente #6. / Calle 14 Oriente.

Built:  1767

Style:  Spanish Colonial

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unkown

 

Description:  The building faces south and is located to the east of the centre of Puebla. Called “Casa Aguayo” the two story orange-yellow coloured was a Jesuit school and later a brewery. In 1967, the building was purchased by the state government and became the Government Palace. In the centre is an open courtyard.

 

Legislative Palace (Palacio Legislativo) – Puebla

 

 

Location:  Avenida 5 Poniente #128 / Calle 16 de Septiembre

Built:  1833

Style:  Spanish Renaissance

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces south and is located on the north side of the street in the centre  of Puebla in Colonia Centro between Calle 16 de Septiembre on the east and Calle 3 Sur on the west. The white faced building is two stories and faces south onto Avenida 5 Poniente. The building was constructed in 1833 as the Philharmonic Artistic Theatre by Rafael Guerrero. On February 1, 1905, the building was official dedicated as the seat of the State Congress and called “Palacio Legislativo de San Laro”. The building has a covered interior atrium and an ornate Legislative Hall for the State Congress ( Honorable Congreso del Estado de Puebla ).

 

Justice Palace (Palacio de Justicia) – Puebla

 

 

Location:  Avenida 5 Oriente 9 / Calle 2 Sur

Built:  Unknown

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces northeast and is located is located on the southwest corner of Avenida 5 Oriente and Calle 2 Sur in the centre of Puebla. The building is the former Colegio de San Pantaleon and is now the Justice Palace. The two story building is dark red with white trim. The main door is along the north side and is trimmed with dark stone.

 

Federal Palace ( Palacio Federal )

 

 

Location:  5 Oriente 1 / Calle 16 Septiembre.

Built:  17 th century

Style:  Spanish Colonial

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is located at Avenida 5 Oriente 1 on the southeast corner of Avenida 5 Oriente and Calle 16 Septiembre. The two story building is covered in colourful tiles and has small iron balconies on the second story. The building houses the Post Office. At Avenida 5 Oriente 5 is the Casa de la Cultura which was the residence of Bishop Juan de Palafox y Mendoza constructed in the 17th century. The building houses the Palafiana Library founded by Bishop Juan de Palafox y Mendoza in 1646. The building has carved cedar bookshelves, red title floors and onyx inlay reading tables.

 

 

Old Government Palace – Puebla

 

 

Government Palace – Puebla

 

 

Legislative Palace – Puebla

 

 

Justice Palace – Puebla

 

 

Federal Palace – Puebla

Photos taken 2004